I live in SC and do signage for apartments and new construction. We have a state agency called the Department of Health and Environmental Control (fondly referred to as DHEC). They inspect and permit public swimming pools among other things. I made some signs for a pool that per their reg requires the letters to be 6" and 4". I cut a mask over aluminum with laser and painted the signs. I failed to recognize that when I had the text grouped and set the height at 6", that each letter was not necessarily 6". Some of the letters came out 3/16" shy of the requirement. In haste to get them out, I didn't catch it.

The inspector..apparently an old hand at this, actually took out a tape and measured each letter. Turned down the permit over 3/16" of an inch, which in a sign that big would not affect anything relative to the message being conveyed. I was wrong, he was right, but I thought it bit ridiculous.

Soooo..their's a good bit of talk here about their being no enforcement on some signs, such as ADA. If ya live in South Carolina, you better comply to the letter of the regs, coz they got their public servants doing their job here.