Thread: Auction Table

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Auction Table

Every 2 years the private school where I work as Facilties Director has an auction to raise funds for unfunded capital needs. I have always volunteered to build something and donate it to the auction. This is a huge event as they have silent and live auctions, drawings for all sorts of things and a dinner and entertainment to boot.
    Anyway, I was working on this hall table up until the last minute trying to get enough coats of Target USL on it and dried so I could get the finish I wanted on it. As alwasy, I got it to them the day before the auction.
    The table was mae form the following:
    Legs - Honduran Mahogany
    Feet on legs - Ebony
    Aprons and frame of top - African Mahogany
    Veneer panel on top is a 4 way bookmatch Yew Burl veneer wiht an ebony inlay surrounding it.
    I finiished it with a a coat of shellac to pop the grain,put on a few coats of target water based filler (very easy to use, but does not fill on a single coat), and then about 8 coats of Target USL. This is the first time I have used their products and I found it to be very, very easy to spray right out of the can. I have not sprayed a lot of finishes in the past. A few deft spray cans here and there and a little poly. I had mostly used wipe on oil finsihes(Watco, Minwax Antique Oil, etc.)The target USL has changed the way I view spraying a finish. I have to admit, I was a little intimidated to jump into spraying. I was concerned about a very long learning curve and ruined projects, not to mention clean up. Well, this experience really cvhnaged all of that. Also, I am only a satisfied customer, not connected to Target in any way(other than sending them some of my money for their products).
    Any and all design feedback(positive and negative) is appreciated.

Jim