Thread: Frame for Masters diploma completed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Frame for Masters diploma completed

After asking many questions and viewing many posts on here, I have finally completed the frame for my brothers Masters diploma from the University of Oklahoma. The frame is made out of walnut with a maple and bloodwood inlay (the inlay resembles the school colors). The finish is 5 coats of Danish oil with 2 coats of Minwax paste wax as the top coat.

This project had many firsts for me and my woodworking skills. This was my first time using real wood (other than poplar), first time making and using inlay, first time with Danish oil and paste wax, also the first time dating a piece of my work using a quarter.

The quarter is from the state series and it just-so-happens that Oklahoma is one of the states for 2008 so it works out well that the diploma will be from the University. I love the figure in the maple and bloodwood (hopefully you can see them in the close up pictures). Not sure what the light areas in the walnut are as they don't appear in normal lighting.

Looking at the pictures now, I think the proportions of the frame may be off. I think the mat should be bigger which would pull the frame farther away from the diploma. Of course the LOML loves the frame and now wants one for the house. I have enough left over that I should be able to accommodate her wishes.

Let me know what you guys and girls think.

p.s. I have also submitted my donation to the site. The site is awesome and want to say thanks to all involved that keep it going.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jimmy Williams; 04-21-2008 at 9:59 AM. Reason: adding additional comment