Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
Hi Ted,

I get the feeling that you kinda WANT to build the doors. I say go for it. It would be simple enough to build a simple frame from good straight lumber however thick you want the door to be. If you cover both sides with plywood you don't even need the 45 degree bracing unless you just want to include it. I'd insulate it well if you're in a cold climate. If you were to build it this way I'd be sure to include plenty of solid blocking in the framing for all hardware. I've built lots of shed doors like this that have lasted for years.

Best Wishes!
I guess I really do Kinda want to build them. Thanks for mentioning or noticing that Stephen.

I went out this afternoon to start on the frames. I moved out the motorcycle, power washer, shredder/chipper, and a pull behind cart, that I would load with everything that I would need or might need while building the add-on. Moved a few more things and was already wore out. The temp outside was 86* with humidy about 70%. While I was remeasuring the openings and moved some wood into the shop the LOML comes over and tells me it was to hot and humid to be outside working, by this time my shirt was already soaked along with my bandanna. So I put everthing back in and called it a day, and here I am.

By the way.... So far, everthing that I done for the addition to this metal building I have done by myself, with the exception of the making and forming metal sheeting. Well,... the son-in-law helped me hang some metal and put some roof blocking in.

This project started out as a simple lean-to. I was going to add a roof with four posts, keeping the same slope and height as the orginal. This was for the sole purpose of parking the trailer and to keep other equipent out of the weather, as best as a lean-to can.
This is a picture of the "shop" after we moved in two years ago

So I started building the roof for the cover, might as well make it full length, to put more stuff under it. I also didn't want it to look "unsightly", I have a nice neighbor next door. I wouldn't be able to see it from my house, but I like the neighbors, their good folks.

One day the wife makes the comment when I was putting the blocking in the roof joist, that it would make a good extension to the shop building for storage...... click.... click (that was my brain making noises) BOOM, the bulb exploded.

Well, I originally started this on Thankgiving weekend last year, and usually just get to work on it during the weekends when weather permits and honeydo's allow. I only have the small section of wall and doors to complete that you see in the original post up top, the side facing the neighbors is done and the front facing the street.

Let me say this.... I do not build on a regular basis, I kinda plan a little. Sometimes things don't go the way they should... "beat to fit and paint to match", some of the time. There were a few kinks along the way, and strange things that I did. I had the neighbor, who's 72, watch me while I was building this. The wife said he would stand at the fence and look at whatever progress was made. Occasionally he would ask why I did what I did, and I would answer him, and ask his opinion, I take criticism very well.

I have over 135 pictures, to date, of the addition. If anyone cares to take a look at the pics, I have a flickr account. Feel free to make comments or suggestions if you can.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9522896...7600583694780/
Ted