Thread: Coffee table project, Finish applied need help (shellac)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coffee table project, Finish applied need help (shellac)

Hey guys,

As some of you may recall I've been working on a coffee table for a long time now, well this week I finally got it done and applied the finish today, it is Shellac to match the last table I did.

I was very careful except for forgetting to cut the shellac from a 3 to a 1 lb cut So after applying an initial 3 lb cut to the top I went to a 1 lb or less cut of shellac for the subsequent coats. I have a total of about 5 or 6 coats on the top, the rest only has 1 as I have been trying to get a perfect finish on the top all day. My problem is no matter what I use, a brush or a pad it dries "streaky" with ridges here and there or brush marks, etc. I never remember having this problem on the other table so I don't know what is going on.

In the pictures the top looks fantastic, from any angle except right under a florecent light it looks absolutely perfect, high gloss, just gorgeous. But if I look over top of it and reflect a flourecent light on it, it looks streaky, like shiny>dull>shiny>dull, etc. I have done this 6 times now, and nothing seems to help, whether brush or pad or both, it just dries streaky. The shellac is B.E. 3 lb. premixed shellac with wax, same can that I used on the other table, it is maybe 6 mos. old and they say you can use it up to 3 years, so what is the deal???

I figure if I just rub it out it will be ok, but I'm no expert so I don't know what to do, all I know is I can't leave it like this and redoing it over and over has not helped the streaky-ness when it dries. I sand between coats with 320 grit, I am doing nothing new from the last time I had such great results, prep work is good, nothing contaminating anything so I am stumped. Should I just rub it out and see what happens? How long before I can rub out shellac? I included one photo with no flash trying to show you the "streaky-ness" I am talking about. I put the stuff on smooth and even, yet I have shiny and dull spots, just doesn't make sense to me. Anyway please let me know, I am applying the other coats to the rest of the piece tomorrow, but I am flat done screwing with the top except to try and rub it out.

I can tell you when I sand it between coats the table, while dull, looks nice and uniform, that is why I am thinking the rubbing out may work. Let me know guys, oh and what do you think of it so far?

Thanks,

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images