I am fairly seriously contemplating doing another kitchen project which will likely involve quite a few raised panel doors and would like to make things a little easier on myself by cutting down on the sanding of the profile – specifically the end-grain portion – and am wondering how others do it. I don’t have a shaper so I will be cutting them on a router table. I know that sharp cutters are key but it seems that there is always some roughness on the end-grain cuts no matter how careful I am. Conceptually I don’t see how the situation would be any different on a shaper but I don’t know for sure as I have never used one.

The finish schedule is highly likely to involve at least one each of dye stain and glaze and the end-grain tends to really grab that stuff and look aweful if not properly prepared and preparing them by hand is a LOT of work. Ideally I would like to minimize the prep-time and do a nice job.

I can’t imagine people who do cabinetry for a living sweating over panels trying to smooth the end-grain to take finish well so I think there has to be a better way.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

L