Hi all,

This is my very first post here, so I'll take a second to intro myself.
I live in Northern Ontario, and have been trying my hand at woodworking for around 8 years. I work in an office and one day decided to take a woodworking night class. I was hooked. I've built up a modest collection of tools, but my basement shop is very small. If I'm using a tool, and need another, I have to put the one I'm using away first! I consider myself an "advanced beginner", and willingly admit that I am probably the slowest woodworker on the planet.

Most of the projects I build are from WOOD mag, with the exception of my two kayaks.

Anyway...my question...

My wife found a dining table that she absolutely loves. It is a 60" X 40" rectangular table that expands along its long axis to 60" X 60". While I agree that it is a nice table, I don't particularly like the 5K price tag. I asked her to give me a year and promised I would build a nicer table. We both like mission style furniture. The table she found was not mission, so I really don't want to bring it into the house, (even if it was cheaper). The problem is, I haven't been able to find any plans or suggestions on building a table that expands along its long axis. Where can I find the extenders? How many should I use in a 5ft table? Should I simply build 4 legs and an apron, and physically move the legs to expand the table, or is there a simple way to build a stationary base, and have the top slide open? Did I bite off more than I can chew? My wife is already saving her money to buy the table...

Questions, questions, questions......

Does anyone have any suggestions?