Thread: Questions about lumber

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Questions about lumber

I have started the search for hardwood suppliers in my area, and that is when I realized I do not know much about lumber cuts and sizing. I have found the differences between roughsawn and dimensioned, I think. Correct me if I am wrong... Roughsawn has a certain number of faces and edges planed, i.e. S1S, S2S and so forth, until S4S (or dimensioned), meaning all faces and edges are finished.

Am I correct in assuming that a relative newbie with a pretty limited array of tools should stay pretty much with dimensioned lumber? In addition to various fine WW projects, I am also looking at doing new trimwork in a couple of rooms, but I want to do what I would consider a "custom" job, meaning take my time, use stain grade wood such as maple, and go the extra mile to more than just add the basics like window trim and baseboard. There's a ten foot bow window I would like to make custom window sills on top and bottom, plus trim.

What should I be looking for in lumber? What specifications should I ask a supplier for?

Thanks,

Amy

P.S. I have also attached part of a catalog of a distributor near me that sparked these questions.
    Attached Files Attached Files