Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 745 and took it out of the box last night and have a question on the miter slots. I've read good things about the saw here which is one of the reasons I bought one.

I planned on getting a better miter gauge than the one it came with. I noticed there is a raised hump in the middle of the slots that extends length of the slots. This seems to allow the gauge to "rock" sideways. I expected some lateral, side to side play, but this is a vertical, teeter totter-like motion, different from the lateral motion. I'm not sure how to explain this well so I hope this makes some sense.

Is this a function of the cheap gauge that came with the saw or the design of the slots? Is this something I should worry about?

I have a small, basement shop so space is a big concern. I'm tempted to return it and get a contractor's saw but I don't think I'd be able to get one out of the car, let alone into the house and down the stairs. Do contractor's saws come in managable pieces prior to assembly?

Price is an issue too. I was looking at the EZ system but blew through the budget long before compiling the basics I thought I would need to get started. There are some other tools I'd still like to get so I don't want to spend a small fortune on a table saw.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike