Thread: How Do You Do this?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How Do You Do this?

I am in process of making a Grandfather clock. I'm stuck on the Swan Neck Mouldings for the pediment. If you look at the drawing it is part #34 that I'm worried about the most. You can best see its shape by looking at the right side version of it. The overall cross section is 1 1/4" wide by a 3/4" high. (the height is measured in the vertical plane) The bottom portion of thr moulding is a cove of a 3/8" radius while the upper half is an ogee. I have two bits of the proper shape. I think I can do it if I laminate the piece. (though my practice attempts have been dismal).

My specific questions are:

1. Can this be done in one piece? (cut the swan neck out of 1 1/4" stock and cut the cove and then the ogee in it)

2. If I have to do it as a laminate, I plan to cut patterns in 1/4" plywood, screw the blanks to the ply and let the router bit bearing ride on the ply. Is there a better way?

At Williamsburg last January Dave Anderson (NH) and I saw Mack Headley carve it by hand, but he's in Virginia and not here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18th century nut --- Carl