Thread: Workbench renovation - and a poor man's tail vise

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Workbench renovation - and a poor man's tail vise

After seeing the works of art and beauty some of you guys do with your benches, I decided to perform a moderate renovation on my workbench. Please keep in mind that I am not a Neander, and my techniques here are not worthy of this esteemed group. But I do enjoy seeing the fantastic works you guys do without electrons!

Anyway, this is it. I took the yellow pine boards, ripped them, and planned them (shamlessly with power tools!) and glued them up. Had to purchase a 2x10 to rip for an apron/band. Plugged the screw holes with walnut plugs, and finished with a coat of Danish oil.

After seeing Jameel's bench and vise, I decided to do a poor man's vise. It won't stand for a lot of hard pressure, but works fine to hold a board between dogs. Cost was about $15 in parts.

The worst part of this - before I didn't care what I did on my bench. It didn't matter if it got gouged, stained, burnt. But now, I feel compelled to treat it with more respect!

Man, I hope this Neander thing isn't catching! Seems I've already noticed some symptoms - purchased a couple of new planes, want more??!!??
    Attached Images Attached Images