Thread: Advice on how to build a workshop countertop / table?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice on how to build a workshop countertop / table?

Hi all,
    I'm starting to set up my garage shop and I need some advice on installing some basic work-tables (countertops).

Here are my shop basics.

Power Tools:
    - Contractor's style table saw (Rigid 10" table saw w/ mobile base)
    - 14" Bandsaw
    - Lunchbox planer
    - SCMS
    - Drill press
    (I got most of the above at a big garage sale, and I still need some more basic tools like a router, jointer, etc).

Shop Space:
    - 19' X 19', 2 car garage
    - I share the space with one car
    - Upgraded electrical (110V and 220V throughout)
    - Recently dry walled and very well-lit

So it's basically a nice clean slate at the moment. Now it's time to start laying it out, adding built-in counter space, hanging pegboard, adding cabinets and shelves. The fun part!

I pretty much know how to do everything but the countertops. By that I mean I'm going to buy used cabinets (on Craigslist) and install them myself; shelving and pegboard are easy.

But I don't know how to built countertops! I got a bunch of "Setting up Shop" books from the library, but they don't talk about making basic "against the wall" countertops. I basically want to line one wall of my garage (parallel with a parked car) with countertop space, 2' wide. I'm sure they are easy to build, but I need some kind of plans.

The attached PDF has a photo of exactly what I want to eventually build. I saw this a year ago and it really captured my imagination. I love the idea of rolling carts that double as infeed / outfeed support. For starters, I want to build the countertop part (see PDF), and add the carts later, but I can't find any plans out there that are even remotely close to these countertops. In fact, I haven't found any plans for countertops.

I wasn't sure where to post this-- was thinking workshops, but it's mostly about how to build something. Also, sorry I had to Zip the PDF file (it was too big as a PDF to attach, although it's only 350K).

Thanks,
    Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files