Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman TV Console

Craftsman TV Console

This project has gone on way too long! I transferred to a new command six months ago and the long hours combined with the 40-mile commute each way really put a damper on my woodworking and slowed down this project to a crawl.

It's constructed of QSWO and QSWO ply, except for the drawer, which is Poplar. The finish is a Jeff Jewitt process that consists of several steps of dye, gel stain, and Waterlox. It's time consuming, but I like the end result.

I started with plans from Woodsmith and modified them to be more Craftsmanny and less contemporary. This is my most ambitious project to date, so there are some things I could have done better. For example, I wish I had made the two end sections a bit wider, the gaps around the doors could have been smaller, etc. Also, the drawer slides were supposed to have been full extension, but they don't extend all the way, so you can't see the last two or three DVDs in each row. I'll eventually get around to swapping those out.

Here are some pics:

Thanks for looking.

Keith

Very nice! I like the lines and the open design for air flow.

Keith, that really turned out wonderfully!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice! I had to call LOML in to see this! We have a store bought cherry lowboy because she didn't want to wait the 2 years it would take me to build one.
    I'm saving your pictures to my HD (if you don't mind) It is going on my todo list when I retire in a few years.
    I love the look

Where did you find the QSWO ply?
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Excellent! Really like the finish - just about the best looking QSWO color that I have seen. Good design, well proportioned, and good execution. Remember, only you see all the "shoulda done thats."

Very well done! I'm a big craftsman style fan. I have a project in the planning stage that's very similar. I also like the finish, love the way Waterlox looks on oak.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up I love to see a project put to work...

Hi Keith,
    Well, that was certainly worth the wait.
    Congrats on finishing your tv console!
    It looks great and functional to boot.
    I always like your colours, this one is nice too...

Geez, maybe I gotta move to a bigger city?
    I am a big craftsman style fan, but had never heard of QSWoak plywood!
    Nice details, I like your corbels.
    Care to share your approach to door construction?

Forget the flaws, man. Don't be such a hard-marker.
    (like a stern and bitter old school teacher)
    Rather than compare your work to the unforgiving ideal...
    try comparing it to what is out there, available at retail.
    Your piece is better than pretty much everything else, and you built it!

Be proud and enjoy,
    keep warm,
    Walt

ps nice electronic toys...
    I hope your local thieves aren't casing the Creek.
    Shucks, I may have just added myself to the suspects list,
    should anything go missing!
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Thumbs up

That looks great Keith, and it prompts lots of great ideas for a similar project I need to do in the spring. Beautiful job!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Excellent work and very eye pleasing. I will join Walt in the fact that I am not aware QSWO ply was made and I been doing WW for 36 years. Grant you I rarely use ply except for drawer bottoms and dust shields as I just prefer solid. But.....

I have an A & C computer desk on the near horizon and may use frame and panel in lieu of mission style slats. I will check with my supplier who sells to a large % of local Atlanta cabinet shops and they probably have it if is made which is obvious.

But... I will add a question. What grade does the back of that ply have or in other words is the back-side good enough to not distract if you saw it as in frame and panel doors as I am going to include a hutch on top of the computer desk.

Regards...

Sarge..

I like that a lot !!

great design and execution thereof.

I especially like the "window" design !!!!

great job
    MARK

Thanks to everyone for their kinds words!

If you're interested in the finishing schedule I used, you can find it on Jeff Jewitt's site. I'm not sure if I'm allow to post a link to it here, so if you'd like it, send me a PM.

I got the 3/4" sheet of QSWO ply from a local dealer. It wasn't cheap by any means! I was terrified I'd screw it up and have to buy another sheet. My rule of thumb when dealing with it was, "measure six times, cut once!" I'm not sure if you can tell by the photos, but I only used 3/4" ply for the horizontal members. The original plans called for the vertical partitions and ends to be plywood too, but that would have required two sheets of ply and wouldn't have been in keeping with the look I was going for. I gave a lot of thought to using solid wood throughout, but I was concerned about wood movement and I wasn't really sure how to compensate for it.

I used 1/4" QSWO ply for the back and the drawer face. I got that sheet from my brother's woodworking store in DE. It had some defects, so I got it for a real good price.

Both thickness of ply only have a QSWO face on one side. The other side is plain sawn. So, you really couldn't use it in a frame and panel (unless it wouldn't bother you to have a different look on each side). The panels for my frame and panel ends and partitions I re-sawed on my bandsaw from thicker stock.

Keith

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Keith, you don’t know how lucky you are to live where you do. I have tried to find QSWO ply out here and got everything from huh??, to laughter.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Keith, as long as the link for the finishing information isn't to a forum or auction, you can post it here.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Keith, as long as the link for the finishing information isn't to a forum or auction, you can post it here.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    Thanks, Jim!

For any who are interested, here's a link to Jeff's finishing schedule. I used the Fayetteville finish: http://homesteadfinishing.com/pdf/mi..._rev4-2008.pdf

Keith