Thread: Tool Information - Please

Tool Information - Please

Who - what retailer - has the heavy radius scraper and the best deal to boot? Got some Christmas cash that's burning a hole in my pocket.
    Friendship is the one bright light, that keeps on burning day and night.

Gary, hopefully, by a radius scraper you mean round. If that's the case, this is what I have and find it to be an excellent scraper.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I've been considering the Artisan 1.5" scraper, because it's a full 3/8" thick and the price is almost half the other major brands for extra thick scrapers -
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._scraper?Args=

HD scraper!

I have the PSI Ben's best, I realy like it, and it Is much more reasonably priced than ANY other of worth. It seems to be the consensus here, that the round nose should morph into more of a curved scraper profile with continued resharpening. Good luck with tyour choice.
    Bob

Steve; Scott, I am actually looking for a Radius Scraper which has a wide blade(1.5") and the curve on the tip is, well a radius shape. Thanks for the replys.

I believe I got my heavy, radiused scraper from Packard Woodworks...their house brand if I recall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe I'm being dense. Gary, do you mean the inside and outside bowl scrapers like Sorby makes? http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/

Didn't I see Rockler or WC having a 20% off sale on Sorbys?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Henry taylor radius/shear scraper

Gary, I bought a 1 1/2" Henry taylor radius/shear scraper that is my favorite! I think Craft supply has them on sale right now. I got it unhandled and made a nice white oak handle for it and I think it was $48 a couple years ago. It holds a great burr and is very stable. I also have a round nose scraper from Henry taylor and I almost never use it! I have some old craftsman tools also and it has came with one each left and right radius scrapers. They have a little shorter radius than the henry taylor and short handles, but are made from HSS and work great!

I could go on and on because my cousin bought me a box of old lathe tools at a garage sale for $15. I think there are 12 different tools but most are in tough shape. They have the markings of a highschool in Minnisota somewhere. I think they used them for pry bars more than turning tools! I plan on turning some of them into special purpose tools when I have the need. And with three lathes it is nice to have tools near each one!

Who put the quarter in me!!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

The LX130 scraper is 1.5"x3/8" thick and made of HSS. I don't think it is as well made as some other brands but is a good buy for the money.

Thanks everyone, I decided on a heavy duty radius scraper by Benjamin Best. I was high bidder on the Bay and it was just $25.95 + shipping. Its 1" wide by 3/8" thick, outboard. Even if its less than I was looking for, at that price it won't hurt very much.

This is a very good heavy bowl scraper and also the best price I've seen on it lately.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtool...y_scrapers.htm

It's at the bottom of the page.

Gary you can't go wrong with it. I have had mine from PSI now for 2 1/2 yrs and it is as good as the $70 Hamlet I bought.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Craft Supplies in Utah has the Henry Taylor heavy-duty (3/8" thick) radiused scrapers on sale right now. Good price on good tools. And check their money back guarantee as well. No questions other than was it defective or just didn't suit.

They also have their extra heavy duty scrapers on sale right now, too. Some of those are up to 3/4" thick, but I don't think they have a radiused scraper in that line. I have a couple of those and love 'em for smaller work. Mine are 3/8" square stock, one round, one square. I can push 'em hard and they do not chatter or complain, but I am not working large stock either.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO