Thread: Recommend a Belt/Disc Sander

Blog Entries

Recommend a Belt/Disc Sander

I'm currently looking for a belt/disc sander. The budget allows up to $600, so I think I should be able to afford one with a stand or cabinet under it? I see where Grizzly has two different RPM's listed on their better sander. Any observations would be appreciated. Good DC would be appreciated.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

I've got the G1276 (slower one) and for what it is, it's a good tool. I found out after I bought I personally don't have near the use for it that I thought I did....but that's just me. The slower speed still cut fairly fast, and may save you some trouble with burning. The price on these has gone up quite a bit...I think I paid a little over $400 when I bought mine. I also had a motor problem, but Grizzly fixed me up under warranty and paid all the shipping charges (both ways) so I'm a happy camper. I've read where others have had problems getting the belt to track correctly. There are 2 adjustment screws for the dang thing, and tryng to use both of them is an exercise in frustration. I just use the front one, and it works quite well.

Ditto on Fred's comments...I also have the G1276 lower speed unit. It's a tank; well made and works great. But honestly, I wish I had bought an edge sander instead. I have never used the disk (outside of one time for a quick job so I didn't have to move the unit for access to the belt) and would get more value from an edge sander for what I use the unit for. I have not had any tracking issues with the belt...it stays dead on for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do a search on "belt/disc sanders" and you'll get several inquiries of late. I did a lot of research a little while ago and almost ended up with either the Jet or one of the Grizzlies. The Jet I was looking at was the hands down Dust collectors favorite because of the size of the port. I still haven't made a move (size of shop and $$$ mostly) and have been existing without. Plus, my needs just don't normally call for such a beast. Got beat out on eBay for a relatively new Jet...D__n.

I have this Jet and its been a great tool. Lots of power and good belt tracking. It also has risen dramatically in price, when I bought mine it was around $400. It has a 4" dust port and collection is very good. Big belt sanders make lots of dust fast, so take this into consideration.
    http://www.amazon.com/708596K-JSG-96...0841351&sr=8-1
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Before I got a PM 30, I had a Jet with a 6x48 belt and 9" disc which was pretty good. If you can find an older Delta or a Powermatic Model 30, they are way better built than new ones. But you may need to do a restoration.