Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark and Dingy Kitchen Cabinets

What??

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    That's because a month later the oil is still laying out collecting dust and not dry... With good technique and good acrylic, you can achieve results that are as good or better than oil, and it won't be yellow in 2 years.
    Jason, all joking aside, that statement is bogus. This past November I painted a bathroom, all alkyd of course. The paint sets in eight hours and I'm sanding with 220 in 24 hours and re-coating. After 48 hours all is done and all items are back in the cabinets. Nothing stuck. It never has, never will.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

What I'd do....

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg View Post
    Dark and Dingy cabinet update; I think when I posted this thread originally I must of had a brain short circuit. The cabinets are dull but not as dark as I was picturing. I don't know where my mind wonders to sometimes. I was just there New Years eve.
    Anyway I would consider the cabinets stained a semi dark red oak, but still very dull looking.
    Talked to my future DIL and they don't really want to paint the cabinets. She would just like some sort of top coat to put a shine on them.
    Thanks again for your help and sorry to drive everyone crazy (but why should I be the only one).
    Okay, I get the picture. Oak is the last wood I'd paint, too open of a grain to really look good. I'd clean the cabinets with a deglossing agent,(Liquid Sandpaper), and use a clear, oil base satin poly. Personally, I wouldn't use anything higher gloss than satin, but you can go semi or high gloss. And, once again, I'd use a paint store for products and advise.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps View Post
    Jason, all joking aside, that statement is bogus. This past November I painted a bathroom, all alkyd of course. The paint sets in eight hours and I'm sanding with 220 in 24 hours and re-coating. After 48 hours all is done and all items are back in the cabinets. Nothing stuck. It never has, never will.
    With the above-mentioned acrylic (specifically Sherwin's Pro-Classic Waterborne), I have sanded it within 2-3 hours with a ROS, and then re-coated. Two coats (or more) in a day, re-assembled that evening. Done in a day. Plus, alkyd is more prone to mildew growth (and of course that whole yellowing thing).

What if you were painting the trim and walls different colors in a small room? Oil could turn a 1-day job into 3-4 days due to multiple trips and having to wait for paint to dry. With acrylics you can easily switch back and forth because it sets up enough to run adjacent cut lines without getting into the other color.

Not to mention, I've had to wear a respirator while brushing and rolling oil before. I hated every minute of it. I've never had to wear PPE while applying waterborne products (when not spraying them, of course).

Joking aside, you really oughtta give it a try again sometime, Phil. This isn't the early '80s or '90s anymore when it comes to coating technologies.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps View Post
    Sue, under normal conditions, few pros will spray cabinets in a home that are in place. The inside of cabinets are the worst part of the painting procedure and you really need a durable paint such as an oil base, (alkyd), enamel.
    Phil, to clarify, I mean I would spray the doors after I took them off the cabinets. I did not paint the inside of my cabinets. I would use a brush or small roller for the other cabinet parts that are in the kitchen.