Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First project

First project

Hopefully, I`ve attached photos of my Mission style bed project. Oak with simple inlays of walnut and brass. First project of any size, first M/T joints etc. Overall, I`m proud of the results and learned a lot. S.M.C. is a great resource for woodworkers of all skill levels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks mighty fine, very nice work.
    Wish my first project had turned out that nice.
    Releasing sawdust from wood = releasing stress from the body

First project? Man, thats quite the first project. It looks great. Maybe you could explain how you covered the end grain with the walnut pieces - I think that's what you did. I can't exactly tell. My concern would be that this wouldn't stay on very well due to wood movement. I don't know if you took this into consideration. Just a thought.

Have fun and be sure to show us the finished project!

More pics please!!!!

Creekers (IE me) love pics and lots. I am afraid your first was WWWWAAAAAYYYY better than mine

The fact that you tackled inlay right off make me proud for sure

Ah but you don't care if I am proud.

I have a Morris chair that I am finishing which will include inlays with wood and metal as well. See my album for a sneak peak.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    Maybe you could explain how you covered the end grain with the walnut pieces - I think that's what you did. I can't exactly tell. My concern would be that this wouldn't stay on very well due to wood movement. I don't know if you took this into consideration.
    The end caps have shallow holes filled with construction adhesive and simply "glued" on to cover the ends of the walnut and brass. Hope this doesn`t mean they`re going to fall off later ! Because, I never even considered wood movement ! Thanks for the kind words.

Attempting attachments

hope this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Rose; 01-13-2009 at 2:28 PM.

Looks good. Very similar to mine only I didn't think enough to do the inlays. That is a nice touch.

ETA: Just saw the last post. The wood movement on something that small shouldn't (key word shouldn't) be a huge issue. Attaching the cap like a breadboard would have been best but if they do pop off you could always add a loose tenon and reattach. All those spindles are a treat to get glued aren't they?

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Chritz; 01-13-2009 at 7:05 AM.
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    I love it!!! The brass inlays totally set it off, IMO.... Very elegent contrast. Hope ya don't mind....I'm gonna use the brass idea somewhere in the very near future. Where'd you get the brass strips?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    I love it!!! The brass inlays totally set it off, IMO.... Very elegent contrast. Hope ya don't mind....I'm gonna use the brass idea somewhere in the very near future. Where'd you get the brass strips?
    WWW.speedymetals.com Lot`s of choices and fast service. Just make sure that you order everything you need at once as the shipping seems high, esp on a small order. Paid $18 shipping for 12 lbs, then $15 for 2lbs!
    But, I had to have it..

Very nice looking bed, for a 100th project. For your fist project, you did a great job. Send more pics as you finish.

Gerald

Nicely done, Randy. I will join Joe on not being overly concerned on the wood movement with what you did. There are no gaurantee's but.. I don't fret too much using small widths as I would with a table-top. etc.

Sarge..

Randy, looks good! I couldn't really tell from the initial picture. I wasn't trying to make you anxious or anything The brass is quite the addition! Very cool contrast. Does this mean that on top of dusting the bed, you'll have to do an annual Brasso application? Kidding! Blessings!

Mission Bed

Dang!Randy,you should be proud.Love that oak,very nice inlay work.Just curious,what tool did you use to make all the mortise's?Router,bench mortiser,chisel? Nicely done---Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Dang!Randy,you should be proud.Love that oak,very nice inlay work.Just curious,what tool did you use to make all the mortise's?Router,bench mortiser,chisel? Nicely done---Carroll
    Thanks! used a S/C #25200 bench mortiser, having never made a mortise and with 140 to "do", I bit the bullet and bought a machine. Don`t have the skill or the patience to even consider doing it by hand. (No disrespect to you " neanderthals" !)

Nice job Randy! I would think the adhesive on the endcaps would flex enough to accomodate any wood movement. Although, it is possible that from season to season you may notice some slight reveal one way or the other between the endcap and the top cap. Overall, very consuming project! What is the finishing schedule?