Thread: Big kid Crackerjack

Talking Big kid Crackerjack

I just cut the top off some boxes
    SECase17b.jpg

and there was a prize in every box
    SECase18.jpg

I started these straight edge cases before the holidays and pulled some boards from the No-Kill Wood Shelter. The long one is a piece of macacauba and the short one leftover purpleheart from my bench build. After jointing/planing, both were a hair shy of my target thickness. Since it twas the season I decked the walls with boughs of holly (fa la la la la well la dee da). Then replaned that and routed out the center and lined it with 1/4" self-stick wool felt.
    SECase06b.jpg

Drillied 4 holes for 1/8" dowels as alignment pins for gluing the halves together. Then decided I sort of liked the look of that and put more 1/8" dowels in after glue-up. Then hand planed everything, rounded over the edges and stuck 3 coats of shellac on them.

Still need to square up the cap ends a skosh, put some 1/8" rare earth rod magnets in the cap and case, and attach a leather strap to keep the cap tethered to the case.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    That's a cool project.....

That's a great idea, Doug, to keep the "precision straight edges", umm....precise.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nicely done, Doug.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a great idea, Doug, to keep the "precision straight edges", umm....precise.
    Yeah that too. But driven by an attempt to keep the steel ummm....not corroded. Wasn't having much luck with the LV in the shipping tube it came in, and all the Starrett ever had was the paper sleeve it came in.
    Use the fence Luke

Great idea, real nice to look at also.
    Releasing sawdust from wood = releasing stress from the body