Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/8" drywall for shop walls/ceiling

I'm looking to put up a ceiling 12' high in my 20'x30' shop. I did my walls with 1/4" white melamine coated MDF. Nice stuff. I got factory seconds for 7$ a sheet,but only top grade is available now @ $18.

If it was me I'd try 3/8" drywall if you want to save the $. It comes fairly white so you'd save painting time and cost. If it sag's more than you want in a shop,put up 1x2 strips. If it's so flimsy it cracks under it's own weight, cut it in half, and add more 1x2. The cost of this system may be close to OSB and paint if your labor is not a consideration.

Would 7/16" OSB sag on a ceiling with 24" OC spacing? No, I have 7/16" OSB for my roof deck with 24" OC and it holds up 4' of snow.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 01-15-2009 at 1:12 PM.

Ya Git What Ya Pay For Mike!! If Lowes has the stuff on sale, that means Contractors don't want it. Maybe a bad batch??? 3/8 is normally used in double layers, for curved surfaces! It would be TRAGIC to use one layer for walls and ESPECIALLY ceiling!

You will Suffer in many ways if you go with 3/8 drywall. Bite the bullet and go with something substantial for your shop! Actually increase the value of your dwelling, instead of creating a liability!! Now Go make yourself PROUD!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 01-16-2009 at 11:13 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I may have missed it in the thread, but is this a dedicated shop, or a shop in a garage? If in the garage, you may have no choice, but to use 5/8" sheetrock for fire protection.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

I walled off a 20x20 addition to my existing shop in a 60x40 building.
    I did OSB on the outside and 1/2 drywall on the inside.

That's worked well for my needs.

Curt

I'd highly suggest the 7/16" osb. it's nice to just screw to the ceiling anywhere you want for lights, piping, etc.
    Not sure prices where you are but in NE ohio 7/16" obs is about $7.00/sheet and 5/8" drywall is around $6.00/sheet. That made it a no brainer for me.
    Definitely don't use anything less than 5/8" for your ceiling if you go with drywall. It WILL sag and look really bad.
    Mark.

Menard's had 7/16" OSB on sale for $4.00 and change in their last add paper in Mid Michigan.
    David B

ok guys ive decided to go with the OSB, i think i may have misread the price on the 3/8" drywall

thanks for all the advice

we unfortunately dont have any menards around here

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    Personally, I tend to recommend 5/8" fire-rated gyp board for shop space due to the fire rating but also due to the abuse resistance of the material. It is amazing how much more that little 1/8" makes over 1/2" gyp board - 3/8" can be cracked by leaning against it and is usually installed in a double layer with joints staggered.
    My shop height is 12 ft and all plaster board used in the whole building is 5/8" since that was a little over kill I feel better about any damage.
    Leo

Mike,

Good choice on the OSB. I'd never put less than 5/8" rock on ceilings and never less than 1/2" on walls.