Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Stop Feedback anyone?

I have the contractor version, a BIG step up from my Dewalt benchtop saw, I have been very happy with it, although I've only had it about 3 months. I upgraded the fence and got the mobility kit.

I had mine somewhere between 6 months and a year. I have never used a Powermatic saw so I can't comment regarding how they compare.

Honestly speaking I can't say that I feel like the huge difference in price between my Unisaw and this saw is well justified. There is no doubt this saw is built better, and is safer. I used my Unisaw probably for somewhere around 5 years, is the wood cut any more accurately, or did the saw stall or some other notable performance difference the answer is no.

I like the safety aspect of the tool and really appreciate the quality of the tool, if those are important aspects of a purchase for you then you won't be disappointed. If you are looking purely for wood cutting performance I think you can get a more than capable saw for a lot less money.

For an educational shop like ours (design college) the SS is a no brainer.

Fortunately, since the machine is well designed and built and has nearly unheard of customer service (so far) little has been lost with the change from Unisaws. We have 2 of the first 50, delivered in 12/04, we were on the pre-order list for ~2 years. I stand by my oft stated opinion that the SS cabinet saw is the best available ... and it stops.

I'm not concerned that our saws will become disfunctional if SS doesn't make it. If for some reason the brakes become unavailable, a simple mag-switch wired to the motor and the saw is a conventional saw.

-kg
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 01-17-2009 at 10:14 PM.

I have had a SS cabinet saw 5hp since 10/06. It is really really nice and with all the new US style cabinet saws that have come out or have been announced since then, there is none I would trade my SS for. I will also say this I am glad I bought when I did. Price was high but it is higher now and I do not see that changing much. I also believe that if I ever did not have carts available then I could make some mods and also get my saw up and running and maybe make a mint selling conversions to other SS owners.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.