Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ? about Amish woodworking

? about Amish woodworking

Since they probably aren't surfing the internet I guess one of you guys who live near them or know them could answer.

I was watching a commercial the other night for the Amish fireplaces with mantle. I'm not interested in buying one but noticed that they were using pocket hole joinery and thought to myself does the Amish use power tools. They said they were made by "The Amish". I have only been near the Amish in Iowa once and bought some rugs and fudge or something like that. Didn't see any 18volt DeWalts or anything. They are kinda weird but it is not for me to judge.

Thanks
    Jeff

I visited an Amish wood shop (commercial) in Shipshewana, IN one time. They had a Deutz air cooled diesel driven hydraulic power unit alongside the factory. All their machinery, which was somewhat newer, was driven with hydraulic motors. Instead of a lineshaft running the length of the building they had a pressure and a tank line. The lights were gas...like a Coleman lantern style. The front desk had a computer and a cash register...run by a diesel generator out back of course.

I can't recall seeing any cordless tools or Kreg stuff. They probably use them (the cordless) and charge them with the generator.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Amish shops may not use electricity, but they do use "power tools". There is a nice specialty market out there for conversion of name brand stationary tools to run on alternative power arrangements, such as belt/shaft powered by diesel or hydraulics driven pumps turned by diesel engines.

BTW, those "Amish Fireplaces" are not really representative of the general Amish woodworking community...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some Amish do use power in the work aspects of their lives, but have none in their home life from what I hear.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Everyone is correct so far. Also, those people are not really Amish. The Amish will never show their faces for pictures or tv. I believe that is against their religion.

thanks for the responses guys.

Jim- I'm sure its not a accurate representation of their work since "if you buy the mantle they will give you the fire part for FREE "

I visited an Amish woodworker in Pennsylvania. Except for the fact that he didn't use electricity, his shop was EXACTLY the same as any other woodworker. He had all the same tools (table saw lathe, jointer, etc.) but they were powered by other than electricity (I won't go into all the details because that's a discussion in itself). He was very friendly to me as another woodworker and freely discussed how he did things. One thing that was interesting was some kitchen chairs he makes. The crest rail had a design in it so I asked him if he carved those. He said, "No, I buy those from a supplier who presses the design into the wood."

His construction techniques were typical modern techniques, such as pocket screws (I didn't think to ask if he uses a battery operated drill, but he used compressed air for some of his portable tools). He had a spray booth exactly like you'd find anywhere else and his wife did a lot of the finishing.

My overall evaluation of his work is that it was nothing special. You could buy the same thing in a furniture store. The Amish are just people trying to make a living. Except where prohibited by their religion, they use all the same materials and techniques as other woodworkers. There's nothing "old fashioned" in the furniture they make, or in the techniques they use.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-28-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Amish can use electricity. They just cannot be connected to the outside world(or something like that). If they were on the grid then they would be connected; generators are not connected.
    Some Amish dont have a problem with being photographed by outsiders.
    But they do not photograph themselves or each other. You wont see family photo albums, wedding albums, graduation photos and certainly not Bar Mitzvah photos.

Years ago, we set my grandfather (in his seventies) up with a computer. He wrote two books about his local town and region, learned to keep the financial information for his lodge on a spreadsheet, and even kept in touch with the grandchildren by e-mail and IM.

In publishing the books, he went to a local (Ohio) Amish firm to do the printing. Everything for the printing business was in a building at the edge of their property and (as Kyle mentioned) the electronics were all run off a diesel generator. The proprietor even had a cell phone to keep in touch. Apparently electronics connected to "the grid" were a problem but on-site generators and batteries were no issue.

Between living near the Amish in Lancaster County of Pennsylvania and Holmes County in Ohio, I wouldn't begin to try to explain what is acceptable to them and what is not - it is more confusing than I've ever been able to follow. Then you get into the different sects of "Old Order," "New Order," Mennonite, and so forth and that just adds even more complexity to your question.

My brother lives a part of southern Iowa that has an active Amish community. He was told that some sects allow the use of power tools connected to the grid, as long as they did not own the tools, and the power was not connected to their property.
    Leasing was one option he had listed along with renting shop space.
    My Mind is Like an Old Trap, Rusty and Prone to Spring Shut without Notice

Mark's leasing or renting comment reminded me of another issue - they will hire English (non-Amish) to drive them if they are traveling out of their standard locale and there are people that do that as their entire business. Sort of like a travel agency for the Amish...

All that "Junk Furniture" people talk about being sold at Wal-mart. It is made by the Mennonite. Kinda like a modern Amish.

http://www.saudervillage.org/home/default.asp
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I believe all of the above comments about the Amish are true. The local Bishops set the rules for their communities. That is why things can vary widely from one community to another.

There is a kitchen cabinet maker that is Amish in my area. They do use power tools and do very fine work. As has been written the rules vary from community to community.
    There are quite a few Amish families with in a few miles from where I live. We do quite a bit of business at one of there general store.
    There are probably 5 Amish saw mills with in 20 miles of us. I haven't done business with them but plan to in the future.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    All that "Junk Furniture" people talk about being sold at Wal-mart. It is made by the Mennonite. Kinda like a modern Amish.

http://www.saudervillage.org/home/default.asp
    I believe you a wrong Dave. We have been to Sauder Village many times & have never heard or saw any reference to the Mennonite religion or way of life.

This a link to the history of Sauder furniture.

http://www.sauder.com/aboutsauder/history.asp?l=2