Thread: An Ax To Grind ~ USDA Forest Service free Guide

An Ax To Grind ~ USDA Forest Service free Guide

This guide published by the USDA Forest Service is an incredible resource for everything ax-related, from beginner to advanced (and it's free!). Filled with succinct and wise passages, clear photos and helpful diagrams, the book explains the in's and out's of felling, limbing, splitting, chopping, bucking, and hewing. Plus, no-nonsense tips on how to swing, grip, sharpen, maintain, select and purchase the right ax for the right job. The subtitle is right: practical.

An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual
    Bernie Weisgerber
    1999, 68 pages

Available from USDA Forest Service in HTML
    Also available from Clarke Green as a PDF
    Also available from the USDA Forest Service in PDF

Edit: note that the PDFs are about 18 Mb and so may take some time to download
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-30-2009 at 5:37 PM. Reason: Added additional PDF link.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Did you just see this on Cool Tools ? It is a cool guide.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Yes I did Jeremy. You are right it is a cool guide and Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools is a great Web site.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Nice link. Thanks!
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Thanks

Thanks Frank, That guide was a good read.

Thanks for posting the link! It's very useful.

In addition to the publication on Axes, the whole library of stuff can be seen here.

Some items of additional interest to hand tool afficiandos:

Thanks Michael. I saw the saw book and others. Our tax dollars coming back in helpful ways is always good.

Very cool, thanks for the links, I'll download it. But I really wish I could find is the cool grinding wheel that guy on the front cover's using. Most of the ones I've seen for sale have been split, cracked, or otherwise screwed up from improper storage.

Oh right you are David. A lost art. Interesting that in times past, a stone wheel (pedal stone, or pedal wheel) with someone who knew how to use it correctly, was the only way to go.

There is one (motor driven) on eBay a little over a day to go on the auction.
    Last edited by Frank Townend; 01-30-2009 at 4:58 PM.