Thread: Tall Column - How?

Tall Column - How?

I need to produce (4) turned 2-1/2" columns with each being 76" tall.

38" is the largest turning that I can do with my lathe, so I am thinking of turning the two separate columns and joining. I am currently thinking of using a something like a 3/4" wood dowel and drilling into the center of each column 3-1/2" deep, which is the depth that my drill press can handle. I would also add an additional 1/4" dowel offset to keep it from rotating.

Has anyone done this or can they give me any recommendations on alternative methods?

This will be for a structure in my church that will be 2' x 2' square so it is not much of a structural issue, but it will need to be able to be moved. The idea includes stretchers at the bottom and tops of the columns with the tops and bottoms will be left square with the base connected on 3 sides and the top connected on all 4 sides because this structure will slide up and around a Tetrapod and will act as a tomb for Easter.

Thanks in advanced for any comments.

Samuel Brooks

turned columns

Yes, without building special extensions even my PM 3520b couldnt handle it. Joining is the answer. I just recently built a jig that included a router for precisely turning columns as you have described. In the process of writing a tutorial on it and put it on the web. pm me if I can be of further help.What wood will you be using? How soon will you need them, and are they to be hollow? will pm you. Max

Samual,

I turned a 6' coat rack and had the same problem. I had a trasition point in the turning to hide the joint. Once the piece was turned I took it off the lathe and put on a 4 jaw chuck. Then put it on the lathe again. Once it was back on the lathe I put a steady rest on the tail end and then backed off the tail stock. Then I put the forster bit in a drill chuck in the tail stock and drilled the hole.

Is there a way that you can break that turning into 2 pieces with a decorative block in between? By breaking it into 2 pieces it will solve your problem. Make it look like it is supposed to be there.

I hope that helps.

Quinn

I like the idea of putting in a transition, I might put in a bead detail at the junction point then maybe put a few others trought the column to hide it.

I have a special drill press table that I can use to do the column drilling so I will not have to use the lathe but it's a good thing for me to remember.

Thanks,

Sam

The column is out of solid oak since it's only 2-1/4 inches. I used 6/4 and did one lamination.

Thanks,

Sam