Thread: help with 1014i

help with 1014i

Hi, I am still trying to get stuff set up, things are going at a snail's pace. I am going to the hardware store tomorrow to get lag screws to bolt the Jet mini to my wood stand I made. I have the lathe, which has four rubber feet that I removed, and the extension, which has two adjustable threaded feet to level it. My question is do I just bolt the lathe thru the four feet and leave the adjusting feet on the extension, or do I shim the extension and bolt thru that? There is a stepped effect on the end corners of the extension that they made to accomodate the end of the adjusting bolt and rubber foot, so that would make for a weird shim. The adjustable feet are threaded bolts, and would need smaller lag screws because of the threads, and those would possibly be damaged by bolting it down. Would leaving the extension un bolted make the lathe that unstable, there would be four bolts on the main part of the lathe. Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Steff

Steff,

If your 1014I is like my old 1014, I'd screw or bolt the lathe to a stand or cabinet. Then bolt up the extension. On the 1014 there were 2 bolts, IIRC that went through holes on the extension, into the body of the lathe just below the ways on the bed. A thin metal bracket was on top to aid in alignment. If yours is the same, I'd leave the leveling legs on the extension. The two bolts going through the holes of the extenison into threaded holes on the lathe should keep the extension from moving independently from the lathe. After attaching the extension, take a straight edge and adjust the adjustment legs to align the bed of the extension with the ways of the bed on the lathe. The reason for bolting the lathe down is to prevent it from moving when you have an unbalanced blank spinning on the lathe. If you find out that the adjustment legs won't go low enough to align the extension with the lathe, then remove them.

I suspect you'll need them.

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Steff,

Ken has it right. Just bolt down the lathe. If you stand is flat, the extension will not need to be bolted down. Just attach the extension to the lathe. Then, as Ken said, use a straight edge to align the bed of the lathe with the extension.

Here is my stand with just the lathe bolted down. The rubber feet were left on the extension to keep it level.

http://http://www.sawmillcreek.org/s...d.php?t=101376

Thanks for the help, I am going to leave the levelers on the extension for now and just bolt down the four on the lathe. I appreciate your help!!!

Steff

Dave and Ken, thanks for your help. The lathe is bolted down with hex head lag screws, the front ones went in just fine, the back ones I had trouble getting the socket on the heads- too close to lathe bed. Three out of four are rock solid, the fourth is in pretty good but not seated-I almost couldn't get the socket off. The bed extension lined up just fine after I smacked it a few times with a hammer. OK, so it was a rubber mallet, but the tail stock slides just fine over the joint, and it's nice and level. It would be nice if something about this lathe stuff would come easy, instead it's been one thing after another after another. Well, it's done, the tools are sharp, now I just gotta get my feet wet!!!!