Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First kickback

First kickback

WOW.

that's all I could say after. I was cutting 1/8" luan for a small project one of my kids. I actually managed to rip the 4'x4' sheet down to smaller pieces even though it was pretty cupped. The kickback happened when I was trimming just a little off a smaller piece. I had a hold-down on the fence, and I didn't put the "waste" side between the blade and the fence. I was just about done and *whoosh* the piece was grabbed and flung across the room. Looked like it got picked up by the back of the blade, "sucked" into the blade (a nice score/gouge in the entire face of the piece) and then thrown off. Missed me by a mile, but it was an eye opener. I tossed the piece into my scrap bin, but I think I'll pull it out tonight and nail it to the wall so I can see it as a reminder.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

The first one is the underwear soiler!
    1/8 " material is pretty "springy" and can surprise you quick...
    glad you are ok!
    Jason

I hate cutting that warped thin stuff on the TS. That's one of the major reasons I have resorted to a circular saw "dead-wood" type rail cutting system for panels.

Mike

4. The MasterCraft Accu-Rip circular saw attachment is what I use when the ripping gets too close to the TS blade for comfort. With this guy, I can rip down to 1/8th accuratley and easily. It has increased my margin of safety when ripping small pieces.

I might have to consider alternatives. I wasn't thrilled about cutting the larger sheet but was very cautious. the smaller pieces were much more manageable - and they weren't *too* small to be cutting on the TS....but in retrospect, I probably should have used my sled.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    The kickback happened when I was trimming just a little off a smaller piece. I had a hold-down on the fence, and I didn't put the "waste" side between the blade and the fence.
    What was the size of the piece you were trimming just a hair off of?

I'm curious why the good piece wasn't between the blade and fence.

Usually, when I trim just a hair off of something, the waste side is between the blade and nothing but free space.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Similar Situation

I had a similar kickback happen to me. Sounds like you got off lucky, I had two broken fingers after the plywood shot back at me and smashed my hands.

I had a similar situation with 1/8" masonite. TS threw a 12"x12" piece like a frisby right past my head and just missed the back window of the in-law's SUV. Hit a shelf 40' away with such a loud bang that the FIL had to come "check on me". That one really coulda hurt more than just my pride.

Glad that you are Ok. I suppose you didn't have a splitter.
    If that's the case you invited the trouble yourself!
    It will *reduce* the chance of such incidents greatly.

No splitter - it's on my 'list' for when I do end up upgrading my saw.

Chris P. - the cut was just as you mention. the good piece about 12"x18" was between the fence and the blade, and the waste side (a couple inches) was on the 'open' side.

Blog Entries

Chris P. - the cut was just as you mention. the good piece about 12"x18" was between the fence and the blade, and the waste side (a couple inches) was on the 'open' side.
    That is the safer way to make the cut.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-10-2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I thought so too. maybe I just took my eye off for a second, but I dont think so......as I think about it, I bet something got caught between the big piece and the fence, causing it to push out into the blade. just glad it wasn't a bigger piece, and there was no one else around.

No splitter - it's on my 'list' for when I do end up upgrading my saw.

My bad...I inferred your statement incorrectly in my little head.

Okay, so how big was the piece your trimmed off? I assume it was ~18" by like 2-3" or something? I don't mean to pick, but I'm trying to understand how the kickback occured if the waste piece was between the blade and nothing. Seems to me there was nothing for it to get bound up against. Maybe I'm just being a dork today? haha
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-10-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    My bad...I inferred your statement incorrectly in my little head.

Okay, so how big was the piece your trimmed off? I assume it was ~18" by like 2-3" or something? I don't mean to pick, but I'm trying to understand how the kickback occured if the waste piece was between the blade and nothing. Seems to me there was nothing for it to get bound up against. Maybe I'm just being a dork today? haha

Not at all. I had the kickback, so maybe *I* am the dork.

Seriously - it was a very straightforward cut (not like the larger cupped piece I started with). small piece, reasonable flat/on the table. Just shows to go ya, I guess....

Did you have a ZCI - zero clearance insert? If 'yes', then it didn't get hung up in the throat plate...maybe.