Thread: Jet 12" Jointer/Planer Combo. Why not??

Jet 12" Jointer/Planer Combo. Why not??

I'm looking at buying a jointer and planer. My budget is $2,000 for both machines together. So I'm pretty sure that I'm going with the Jet JJP-12 combo machine.

Is there any good reason to buy separates? With my budget, I would only be able to get a good 8" jointer, and a 12-15" planer.

I can't think of any good reason not to get the Jet. I'd be crazy to give up 4" of jointer capability.....right? If I'm missing something, someone please correct my mistaken reasoning. I'm not against getting separates, I just can't think of a good reason to.

Thanks for any advise.

I looked at a combo machine, but for me, the weight and form factor were prohibitive--I couldn't get it into my basement. So I kept shopping craigslist. I ultimately bought an 8" Grizzly jointer and 20" Grizzly planer for $700 combined. They were not mint, but both function well and all parts (aside from a bit of the magnetic switch on the planer) work. I also passed up (stupidly) an 8" PM parallelogram jointer and a 20" PM planer--both only 1 year old--for $1500 combined. Still kick myself over that one, although if I'd gone that route, I'd be dimensioning rough stock in my garage instead of my heated basement...

Pro's of combo machine, as you note, are greater jointer capacity (although FWW this month has an interesting looking way of dimensioning stock wider than your jointer), smaller shop footprint, and more economical upgrades to shelix type cutters. Pro's of separates are lighter weight, although more overall weight, and the ability to bounce back and forward between the two (that said, I tend to go between the jointer and TS more than the jointer/planer).

Thanks for the reply Eric. I guess I left out those two details, space and weight.

Weight: It is a none-issue for me.

Space: I have a 20'x20' shop. So I can fit two machines, but a combo would be a little more practical.

Chris, I have the Jet and like it. You might want to check http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=combo

and some of the other threads. The main advantage is space. 20 x 20 would be tight, IMHO, for a stand alone planer and a big jointer - especially considering infeed and outfeed requirements. You should also do a search for reviews on the Grizzly combo, if you are looking at combos. I don't think that a spiral head would give you that much better results than a straight knive, unless you do a lot of figured wood, but many might find the prospect of no knive sharpening, or setting, pretty attractive since some speculate that the inserts will last the life of a hobbyist. If you haven't read it, read Tom's review http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetjjp12rvu.html.

If the concern is the availability of a helical or spiral cutterhead, a Jet representative (via my email) stated that the Jet JJP-12 will be available with a helical cutterhead by end of March 09. However, we shall see.

Do a search on "jp combo". There's a nice wealth of recent info on Asian and European offerings, and some philosophical discussion about using a combo in lieu of separates.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
    Thanks for the reply Eric. I guess I left out those two details, space and weight.

Weight: It is a none-issue for me.

Space: I have a 20'x20' shop. So I can fit two machines, but a combo would be a little more practical.
    Yup space savings are a plus. The downsides are shorter jointer beds which haven't been limiting so far and it helps to be organized so you can sort of batch process--face joint, edge joint then switch to planer mode to do the 3rd face. I'm talking here about processing rough stock. It's different strokes for different folks but I like mine. Changeover takes about 1 minutes. One guy rigged a hex nut on the planer bed elevation crank so he could use a cordless drill to help with the cranking. I haven't found it a big enough deal to bother. On the Jet at least the elevation wheel is smooth and moves the bed 4mm (5/32") per turn. It takes about 36 turns to go from minimum planing thickness to a bit more than 6" to be able to swing the chip hood. Jet does have a couple videos on their web site which you might take a look at if you haven't.

Rojek makes a J/P where you don't have to move the jointer beds to use the planer but I've never seen one or seen a video. I don't know how that'd work.

HTH

Curt

I toyed with the idea, but decided against it.

A 12" planer is more of a liability than a 12" jointer is an asset.
    The jointer tables are way too short; I would rather have an 8" with longer tables.
    Going from one to the other is a nuisance.
    No spiral carbide heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I toyed with the idea, but decided against it.

The jointer tables are way too short; I would rather have an 8" with longer tables.
    No spiral carbide heads.
    Well you pretty well summed it up for me. After playing with the JJP-12 I decided to stay with my 15 planer and 8" jointer and use the money for something else. I sure could have used the space though.

If you like working with wide stock and already have a drum/wide belt sander, this probably wouldn't be the case.

I would venture that the average woodworker needs a 12" jointing capacity about as often as they joint a board > 7' long (probably the max for my JJP-12).

takes me about 15 seconds...

No spiral carbide heads.
    Jet is the only JP I know of that doesn't include a spiral head, and they will have one available in 45 days...

Everyone's needs are so different. The best advice I can offer is get all the info you can, then decide if it's right for what you do...

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty set on going with the Jet. I'm not so sure now. This is probably the biggest tool decision I have to make. Don't want to make the wrong choice.

I went with the Jet and I'm very happy. I use the 12" jointer quite often. I bought quite a bit of lumber over 8" wide. I never mind switching between jointer and planer as it is as easy as people say. If you can find an online video of someone switching it you will see what I mean.

As of yet, I have had no need for a spiral cutterhead but you may have different needs.

Short tables is the other concern I always see listed. I used a 6" ridgid jointer for years that had tables 10" shorter and it never bothered me. Very rarely is the final piece I need over 5-6'.

Good luck with your decision.

I love my combo J/P. And I use the wide jointing capacity to the fullest extent, even with boards that are typically 8" wide, especially when heavy figure is involved--skewing the workpiece shears cleanly. It's also handy for edging irregular shaped pieces, such as bent laminations. Length? Doesn't matter. I never "finish" joint boards longer than about 5-6'...best practice will always be to do final milling on stock that is only slightly longer than the actual workpieces needs to be. Planer width isn't much of an issue, either. I can only think of one time that I wanted to thickness something wider than the 350mm (13.68") capacity of my combo and just used an alternative method.

Combos are not for everybody, but are absolutely worthy of consideration, especially if you work alone, want wide jointer capacity and could use more space in the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...