Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dare I do this with a compressor?

It's called oil less but there is oil in the pump. Mine has a window to check it.

No, don't do it. They are designed to operate in basically one orientation. Take the handle off.

Can't take time to read all. I put a smaller one on a shelf up on the wall,and made sure it wouldn't vibrate off. I could still bleed the water out from there.

Oil-less means just that, No oil. There's hardly much of anything to the compressor head - rod and piston are pretty much wide open if you pull the guard off. They'll operate no matter which end is up.

If you are lacking space for that little guy, it's time for an addittion to the shop.

Take the handle off - mount it on a shelf in the rafters - find someplace that is "dead" space for it to live - hang it on a coat hook

my .02
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hank dekeyser View Post
    Oil-less means just that, No oil. There's hardly much of anything to the compressor head - rod and piston are pretty much wide open if you pull the guard off. They'll operate no matter which end is up.

If you are lacking space for that little guy, it's time for an addittion to the shop.

Take the handle off - mount it on a shelf in the rafters - find someplace that is "dead" space for it to live - hang it on a coat hook

my .02

Just remember to drain it now and again.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Didn't he hang it behind those fabulous curtains?
    I'm not commenting. He threatened my life the last time I brought up the curtains. I am not gonna say a word about them.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Lesak View Post
    Any ideas on how to drain the water out of the tank ???
    There should be a valve on the bottom of the tank that allows you to drain the compressor tank. If you are having water problems, I suggest an in-line water seperator. You can get a cheapie from HF or sears for about 15-20$ and they work great. Work really well if you are painting or spraying finish with your compressor, but be sure to use a new hose with a pneumatic sprayer. any oil from lubricating your tools or the compression piston will accumulate in the hose will come out in the with the air and ruin the finish. I always keep a spare unused hose for my sprayer. If there is no valve on the bottom of your tank, your kinda screwed and should have gotton a better compressor to begin with. You can release the pressure, unplug it, and remove a line to gain access to the tank. Tip it over to get out all the water, but when you go to use it agian, be sure to wait a day or two before turning it on after it has been placed in an up-right position so all the oil can drain back to where its supposed to be.

Smile

Thanks for all the good advice everyone.

Something I had not thought about was being able to EASILY drain the tank. I suppose I could pull it out and put it in its “normal” position, but since I will always take the path of least resistance (meaning, I’m fundamentally lazy) I have some doubts about whether I’d go through the hassles as often as I should.

After reading all this, probably the best advice is to remove the handle. I’d thought about doing that before, but I have always thought I might need to move it out side, or into the garage or something like that. On the other hand, I think the thing has been in pretty much the same place for several years.

After I get done removing the handle and setting it up, I’ll post a pic or two.

My main concern now is that somehow LOML will someday find Sawmill Creek and read the wisecrack I made about getting a new one. If she does, I’m a condemned man!

Rick
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

Considering inflation, heres .05 worth! Thats NOT a 5HP compressor. Please read other threads concerning (HPH) Horse Power HYPE!

WHY NOT just lurk on CR until you find a REAL 5HP vertical compressor with 60gal. tank. They are sooooo cheap nowadays. Maybe you could trade your WIFE for one? Then you can gloat here (twice), justify the commercial behemoth, and stuff it in a deserving corner next to your DC! YukYuk!.....
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 02-18-2009 at 8:18 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hubbard View Post
    Good advice. I may have to see if I can find a manual for this critter on-line. I traded my wife's car for it a few years ago, so there was no manual. BTW, anybody know where I could get a new wife? (just kidding)

Rick
    If you would quit tryin' to stand her on end in the shop......OH WAIT! That was the compressor. Sorry!
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Considering inflation, heres .05 worth! Thats NOT a 5HP compressor. Please read other threads concerning (HPH) Horse Power HYPE!
    Yeah, I should have put the 5HP in quotation marks. That "5HP" is just like my 24HP Lawn Tractor, my 1 gigabit ethernet card and a Minute-Mount snowplow!

But, in any case, since I never use the compressor for anything much more demanding than power nailers or airing up tires; WHATEVER its real HP might be, it'll do the trick. I just want it out of the way!!

Rick
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

How about taking the wheels off, mounting it to a hinged board that attached to a platform on the floor? When you want to drain the water, just flip the compressor and hinged board down to horizontal position. Then flip it back up again so the compressor is standing on end. Maybe keep it in place with a bungee cord or rope and hook setup?