Thread: Kitchen Table Finish: Oil or H2O Poly?

Kitchen Table Finish: Oil or H2O Poly?

I'm ready to start the top coat finish on the new kitchen table (white oak with walnut trim) and I'm wondering: should I use a oil-based poly, a water-based poly, or something other than poly?

I'm replacing a three-year old top that was oil-based poly finished with about 8 or 9 coats (who can remember that far back?). It's held up reasonably well, but I am wondering if there is another product I may be unaware of that will last longer or be more durable.

I've sealed and stained; Old Masters Gel Stain says I can put oil-or-water based poly on it once it's dried.

I just bought a HVLP setup from a fellow Creeker so I can try that. Keep in mind the table top is 4 x 6 and weighs close to two tons .

Thanks for your suggestions and help! Pix to come once tha top is done.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Check out Target Coatings for WB finishes. The SC9000 poly is water clear and stays that way. The EM 2000 and EM 8000 offer more of an amber color similar to and oil based poly.
    http://www.targetcoatings.com/emtech.html
    I have been very happy with their products and customer support.

+1 on the Target products. Take a look at the article on their site by Jerry Work - very informative. My vote would be for their conversion varnish product. A little less easy to spray than their USL but not much - nice product.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder View Post
    I'm ready to start the top coat finish on the new kitchen table (white oak with walnut trim) and I'm wondering: should I use a oil-based poly, a water-based poly, or something other than poly?

I'm replacing a three-year old top that was oil-based poly finished with about 8 or 9 coats (who can remember that far back?). It's held up reasonably well, but I am wondering if there is another product I may be unaware of that will last longer or be more durable.

I've sealed and stained; Old Masters Gel Stain says I can put oil-or-water based poly on it once it's dried.

I just bought a HVLP setup from a fellow Creeker so I can try that. Keep in mind the table top is 4 x 6 and weighs close to two tons .

Thanks for your suggestions and help! Pix to come once tha top is done.
    waterlox is good for these types of applications as well.

a) it levels very well no matter how you apply it (it's marketed as a floor finish for its leveling properties).
    b) it doesn't care about water, or alcohol. only paint strippers and thinners will budge it.
    c) it sticks to itself like shellac does, so minor dents and dings can be repaired in the future by adding a couple more coats as needed.

only catch with it is the semi-gloss is more gloss than you would expect, so if you try it, i would recommend starting with the satin, and if it isn't glossy enough for you just apply it unstirred and it'll give a bit more shine on the second coat.

Thanks for all your advice. I'll have to make a decision soon as my stain will be dry by tomorrow!
    Trees. Tools. Time.