Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Unisaw....pricing?

New Unisaw....pricing?

Has anyone heard what the pricing will be for the new Unisaw? Is March still the planned release?

Thanks!

I think is 2874.00 to be exact...
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63984

Wow! I was expecting it to cost more than the old one, but, wow!

Oh well, I still want it.

I've been waiting also. I did see a price of around $2500.00 for the 36 inch fence model but it looks like other parts are a la cart so it's hard to know what the total price will really be.

I guess we will just have to wait for the offical release as see if there are any deals

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
    Wow! I was expecting it to cost more than the old one, but, wow!

Oh well, I still want it.
    You're paying extra for that hand-crafted in Tennessee drawer hanging on the right end under the extention table as it is included with the saw.

Sarge..

I notice everything is going up in price some sometimes more than 50% over the old price...

Good we are in a recession. I am afraid this hoby will become so expensive in 2 -3 years from now. The price of metals I guess are going up so fast...
    I guess the price reflects the price all manufactures had to pay a year ago. But I see that these are just way more than I was expecting.

I guess it is a combination of new designs and the price that materials will cost in the future.

I'm actually a little surprised it is that cheap. I was expecting over $3K.

It's comparable in quality and price to the PM 2000, and it's made in the US. I'd guess their margin at the current prices is very slim.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

I checked one out at the Delta Booth at the last Woodworking Show near me. I thought it was pretty nice.

When I consider what I paid for my Unisaw 20 years ago, the price seems about right. However, today's competitive import market has skewed the playing field. I'd have to think hard and long to determine if the new Unisaw is worth $1,000 more than similar new riving knife offerings by other importer/manufacturers.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

"It's comparable in quality and price to the PM 2000, and it's made in the US."
    --Ben West.

Not exactly true. From the Delta web site: "made in the U.S.A. of U.S. and foreign components."

http://www.deltaportercable.com/unisaw/

I saw some early Delta ads that claimed "made in the USA".

Now Delta changed the ad.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say "assembled in the U.S.A. of U.S. & foreign components"??

But that doesn't have the same advertising ring as "made" in the U.S.A.

I just wonder what percentage of the components are actually U.S.A. made??

Ray...I had seen that disclaimer too. They supposedly are using Marathon motors, made in the U.S. What % of the other components are US made, I have no idea.

But, it will be assembled in the U.S., which is significant. Is there another hobbyist-level American-style cabinet saw (by hobbyist, I'm excluding Northfield and the like) made in America? I'm not aware of another.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Woodworkers supply's website shows the unisaw on hand April 8th. Their price is

$2874.00 for 3hp & 36" fence
    $2999.00 for 3hp & 52" fence
    $3199.00 for 5hp & 52" fence

The spec's also state assembled in the USA with US and foreign components.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    "It's comparable in quality and price to the PM 2000, and it's made in the US."
    --Ben West.

Not exactly true. From the Delta web site: "made in the U.S.A. of U.S. and foreign components."

http://www.deltaportercable.com/unisaw/

I saw some early Delta ads that claimed "made in the USA".

Now Delta changed the ad.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say "assembled in the U.S.A. of U.S. & foreign components"??

But that doesn't have the same advertising ring as "made" in the U.S.A.

I just wonder what percentage of the components are actually U.S.A. made??
    For all practical purposes, the saw is made in the USA. However, Delta has to be careful because they can't guarantee their suppliers use 100% made in the USA components. The new Unisaw is more American than a new Ford, Chrysler or Chevy. But if they use a few washers from China, that's "foreign components".

Quote Originally Posted by Ben West View Post
    Ray...I had seen that disclaimer too. They supposedly are using Marathon motors, made in the U.S. What % of the other components are US made, I have no idea.

But, it will be assembled in the U.S., which is significant. Is there another hobbyist-level American-style cabinet saw (by hobbyist, I'm excluding Northfield and the like) made in America? I'm not aware of another.
    The info on the Delta site is very clear that the trunnion and table are all cast and machined in the USA. And as you note, the motor is a US-made Marathon.

So the important stuff is made in the USA.

This will mean more to some folks than others. But by all accounts it is a good design. Time will tell if it lives up to the high expectations that many have for it.

-Tom in Ventura

My issue w/ this is there will be & are people who think that this saw is 100% US made. I know of a few guys who were taken back by Delta's 1st claim of made in the USA & the revised/updated disclaimer on the web site. I’m old enough to remember when made in USA meant exactly that.

All in all, it does look like that Delta put some thought into the re-design, esp. the up front blade height & tilt stop adjustments. For those of us who struggled w/ such adjustments on the old style Unisaw, that is a welcome change. Also, the trunnion has a grease fitting for lubrication -- another positive idea. I just wished that the motor cover wasn’t plastic, but in the reality of manufacturing costs vis-a-vis selling price, I understand why a manufacture will/need to cut some corners.

What is in the back of my mind is will the redesign incorporate a SawStop type technology once the SawStop patent expires??

When exactly did made in America ever really mean every single part was made in America. There has never been an "official" standard". The only way a company could be sure of that would be to impose DOD style tracing of every part.

By the way, you won't see the complete knockoffs from overseas that was the case before, because now the new saws will have patent protection.

By the way, does anyone know if such saws as the Grizzly 0690, which mention riving knives, are currently UL listed. I didn't see the UL mentioned in the materials for the saw that are on line.