Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Miter slots NOT parallel - problem?

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Usually the metal lathe's cross slide,which is graduated in thousanths, is used at its "straight in" angle of 90 degrees to the work,to reduce the diameter of work being turned. If you want to remove a very small amount,like .0001",ten times smaller than the .001" graduations,you set the swiveling compound ,which is on top of the carriage,to 8 degrees from the work,or nearly parallel to the work,8 degrees from being parallel. Then,when you move the dial on the compound .001",the cutter moves mostly sideways,only advancing .0001" into the work.

I'm not explaining this very well,sorry.
    Thank you, George .. GREAT analogy .. I wish I had thought of that several posts back !!

I knew if these folks would just ask a Machinest or Tool Maker, they'd get an explanation that would satisfy them.

I knew I was correct, just couldn't explain it as simply as you just did.

<<<__ Bøb __>>>

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    Thank you, George .. GREAT analogy .. I wish I had thought of that several posts back !!

I knew if these folks would just ask a Machinest or Tool Maker, they'd get an explanation that would satisfy them.

<<<__ Bøb __>>>
    So working at an angle makes the machining scale more sensitive, but makes the measurement of deviation less sensitive?

Your experiment showed my point. Measuring at the 45 made the same deviation show up as a larger number on the plunger. The absolute measurement isn't accurate, but it does allow you to see a smaller deviation. More angle = more (qualitative) sensitivity, less (quantitative) accuracy. When you're looking for relative differences, an amplified scale increases the visibility of such differences.
    Last edited by Duncan Horner; 03-19-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    measurement taken with a plunge indicator NOT at a right angle to the work will give a skewed and proportional measurement instead of a *true* reading!

For our woodworking purposes, would you not agree, that as long as that same angle is *somewhat* maintained, *proportional* readings will still be sufficient to indicate any runout or out-of-parallel condition?
    I THINK this is what I started out saying .. .. for the purpose of comparing one end of a slot to another, in an attempt to align same, the actual number is meaningless .. you are trying to get both extremes to the same spot. All I started out saying was that in a skewed position, the "NUMBERS" are not true. I've used a screw in a piece of wood and a set of feeler gauges to determine alignment, and didn't care WHAT the number was .. only that it was the same at both ends !!

<<<__ Bøb __>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Horner View Post
    ...Your experiment showed my point. Measuring at the 45 made the same deviation show up as a larger number on the plunger. The absolute measurement isn't accurate, but it does allow you to see a smaller deviation. More angle = more (qualitative) sensitivity, less (quantitative) accuracy. When you're looking for relative differences, an amplified scale increases the visibility of such differences.
    You've got it, Duncan! (but, for the record, it was my experiment, made in response to Bob's challenge, that was posted.)
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 03-19-2009 at 11:53 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Horner View Post
    So working at an angle makes the machining scale more sensitive, but makes the measurement of deviation less sensitive?
    Working the cross slide at an angle allows you to take very fine cuts because each 0.001" movement of the cross slide yields something less than 0.001" of travel. You can take extremely fine cuts, but the accuracy of the dial on the lathe is gone .. unless you are an experienced Machinest and you know what the travel indicated on the dial equates to in the advance of the bit. As I stated in the drill press challenge, it takes more travel at an angle to accomplish the same forward advancement of the tool.

That probably didn't help, but I'm running out of ways to get my point across .. .. maybe George can help again ??

<<<__ Bøb__>>>

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    You've got it, Duncan! (but, for the record, it was my experiment, made in response to Bob's challenge, that was posted.)
    I knew I'd mess up the quotes somewhere, and I did, sorry, and thank you I'll go fix 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    You can take extremely fine cuts, but the accuracy of the dial on the lathe is gone
    Exactly what I've been saying. I think we've come to an arrangement. I was never interested in the number of the measurement, although it can be calculated rather easily given the angle. I'm simply interested in using the angle the measurement is taken at being used to amplify the magnitude of the dial travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    <<<__ Bøb __>>>
    If it makes you feel better, go on believing that ..

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    If it makes you feel better, go on believing that ..
    It does .. .. I will .. ..

thank you .. ..

<<<__ Bøb __>>>