Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tool collecting vs actual woodworking

My wife summed it up for me once like this.

"Tools are for men, what jewelry is for women. You may not need it right now, but you'll need it later for that "special occasion".

She's bought me a lot of nice tools through the years. I ain't arguing with her logic.,
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I run 2 businesses durring the day and do my woodwork at night. I buy some sort of tool 2 or 3 times a week but I only turn out 2 or 3 projects a month hence the ratio of tools/projects.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

1 project = 1+ tools at a minimum. I would expect that the ratio you see is relevant to this constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mats Bengtsson View Post
    The others also result in output although not immediately, and not always within woodworking.
    --- Mats ---
    Good point, Mats.

One thing that always has made me wonder.

We have close to 12,000 active members.
    If we each did one project a year and posted it
    we would have 32 new projects every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Wallace View Post
    Am I mistaken, or do the tool posts out number the projects posts about 100 to one. Would we all rather just collect tools than actually build something?
    Yes. And your point is .......... ? Really. Golfers just have to have the latest drivers and putters, bowlers get the latest balanced ball and glove, bikers have the best loud pipes and custom seats and so on. See what I mean? I don't think there is a difference with woodworking and tool collectors.

I hope that didn't sound as bad as it reads, it wasn't mean't that way.

Brad

Just to reiterate what has already been stated:

There are a lot of very talented woodworkers that use this site. I agree with what others have stated. I am embarrassed to post project pictures , maybe someday if I become talented and able to make awesome projects like some members are capable of making, I will feel better. My wife likes my projects!!

Just finished a redwood picnic table, last night

Joe

My fear is; if I die my wife will sell my tools for what she "thinks" I paid for them!

If you’re not comfortable posting in the forum, that's ok! Just make an album in your profile page. If people are curious to see your work then they'll check out your profile. If they're not, well then they just like to talk about tools.
    Both options are completely acceptable