Thread: I'm Stumped.

I'm Stumped.

Anybody know what these were for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI. dll?ViewItem&category=13871&item=6125790866&rd=1

Definitely not a caulking iron. The ad is as clear as mud, but I believe these are side views...

...thick working edges with coves.

Some sort of ironing device to form a bead in pitch or plaster?

Thick enough to be used hot.

DR Barton was an edge tool maker, and I suspect these are tempered tool steel.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Are ya gonna bid, Bob? If nothing, it might be some nice iron to use for something else or rehab to their intended use!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Don't know what they are but depending on the thickness the look like they would be good for caulking with oakum. Them and a wooden mallet. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Maybe something to tool mortar with when doing brickwork?

Just a wild guess

If you take a look here:
    http://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioBarton.html

Then mention a few different D.R. Barton's who were tool makers. This one struck me as a possibility.

David R. Barton & Co.: 1849 - 1874.
    Adzes, axes, carpenter tools, chisels, cooper's tools, drawknives, hammers, hatchets, picks, tinsmith tools and wooden planes.
    Marks: D. R. BARTON (with and without the CO.) and ROCHESTER (with and without the N.Y.). Some included "1832" and some a star figure. There was a variety of shapes used with the lettering: straight line, oval and half-circle.

What about it being a tinsmithing tool? Used to run grooves? or used with a matching stake it could make a nice round profile on tin.

Just a wild guess though.

they look like joint tools a white (stone)mason would use on the wide joints of native stone work.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    Anybody know what these were for?

Definitely not a caulking iron. The ad is as clear as mud, but I believe these are side views...

...thick working edges with coves.

Some sort of ironing device to form a bead in pitch or plaster?

Thick enough to be used hot.

DR Barton was an edge tool maker, and I suspect these are tempered tool steel.
    Bob,

Just curious, did you ever find out what those things were for?
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

No...that's why I didn't follow up.

Most thought it was a beading tool for mortar joints in masonry....but it wouldn't have to be near so heavy for that.

A better answer was probably a forming tool to be used with a factory sheet metal rolling machine to form a beaded joint....or even a saddlery to form decorative edges in leather...but nobody had seen anything like that, either.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Most folks were correct.

Hi Bob,

You were stumped. So was I. The answers that were coming back did not seen to be right. The brick jointer idea seemed a bit far fetched. Why would it be so heavy? so I just filed it in the brain and waited for something to come up. Well It has!

Today a Copy of the Edward Preston catalogue for 1909 arrived in the post. on glancing through it, low and behold,

There on page 105 is your tool. You know what - it is a brick jointer!

They came in three sizes, Flat and three sizes grooved.

Regards, Ralph