Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name that wood

Name that wood

I have been out in New Jersey for almost 2 weeks now and have been trying to find a chunk or two of wood to take home with me. I have a few woodpiles scoped out but my girfriend (who gre up in Jersey) had less than complimentary things to say about a late night raid. I awoke this morning to a delightful sound........The roar of a chainsaw trimming trees outside my room. I jumped out of bed got dressed and set out on a mission. Once I found the boss of the crew I got approval to get a few pieces to take home with me. Now I just need to figure out what it is. If I had to offer a guess I would say it was some type of oak. Here is a picture if anyone has a guess I would appreciate it. Iknow the pictures arn't the best but its all I can do right now

Thanks
    Kirk

100_0961.jpg

100_0962.jpg
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

It looks like it might be bradford pear.

FYI-Cities planted BP by the thousands in right of ways between the roads and sidewalks.

I don't know what it is but I don't think it's Bradford Pear. The bark in bradford pear is darker and larger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard to tell but it looks almost like Mulberry to me. Are there any leaves available that you can be reasonably sure came from this tree?

Looks like the Tree-semme to me... (look carefully at 2nd pic)

Looks like a ...........bad picture, hard enough to ID bark with a good picture, won't try a bad one, use a tri-pot next time and good light, that will help a lot.
    Then maybe we can tell, rather than just guess :-)
    Have fun and take care

Yes we need better photos, instead of just pictures. Thanks hope we can help ya.

def, bradford pear. mulberry isnt quite that wet when cut.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Looks like cherry to me

I think it is a cherry tree but not sure as in is a small branch. The bark is right and the color is close. But a better picture would do wonders. It could be an oak but go take a picture of the whole tree or one like it near by so we can see the whole thing. Or ask the neighbor what the tree was.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Nicol; 03-26-2009 at 5:30 PM.
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thank you for all your input. I was just happy to be taking something home. I don't think it is cherry. I havn't spotted one pit on the ground. It may very well be BP as there are similar trees along the roadway. I will just stick with calling it my Jersey wood. What ever it is I don't think we have it in Alaska, and that was my goal. Bring something different home. I will have to ask around what kind of tree it came from.

Once again Thank you for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Sears View Post
    Hard to tell but it looks almost like Mulberry to me. Are there any leaves available that you can be reasonably sure came from this tree?

Another vote for bradford pear; around here, that's a dead ringer for it; B.P. certainly will darken exactly like the pic of it by another member, but looks just like that when cut.

Mulberry has a very distinctive light white band of sapwood just under the bark; on smaller limbs its much more apparent. Also, in regard to its moisture content, you should see it when cut in the summertime; the heartwood is pretty wet, but the sapwood literally oozes white sap, almost like a rubber tree. I don't know if I still have pics at home, but I took a pic of the dried gunk a few weeks after cutting a large mulberry.

I had a mulberry tree a while back before my mom cut it down. the fruit was pretty good but the wood has SOOOO much sap. and if only I had been into woodworking a few years earlier

The more I look at it the more I think it's Bradford Pear. It's small enough that it hasn't developed the deeply ridged bark. Hopefully someone in the vicinity of the stump knows what it is.

I think we have a winner

After looking at some pics of BP, comparing to what I have, I am convinced it is BP. I am looking forward to getting it home to seal the ends until I can turn It. I have it sealed in a plastic bag to keep it from drying too fast. It sure is heavy for the size. The baggage handlers are going to love me.........LOL

Looks like oak, to me. mike