Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chuck Question for all you experts

Ken, by the way congratulations on your new lathe. You will love it. On my Nova chucks insert the grub screw comes with a little fiber washer to protect the spindle. However I only do light sanding with mine so I have never used the grub screw.

Good Luck

Alan

There are industrial used set-screws that have brass ends on them for use on threaded shafts and for other non-marring applications.
    MSC industrial supplies or McMaster probably carrie them.
    The Oneway lathes always have had a groove machined in their headstock shaft for the set-screws to lock into, there are now some other wood lathes that also have this, the problem is that there isn't a common distance used by the lathe manufacturers, hopefully that will come to pass, though I'm not holding my breath .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-26-2009 at 1:27 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Dave - check out the PDF that Oneway has for their chucks. Page 4 has a good photo of the Taperlock adapter and one of the 2 set-screws used to secure the chuck to the spindle.

http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/ow-talon.pdf
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Grub screws with brass or nylon tips.

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section11/gn913.3/

Great idea Jim. I used set screws on my Talon with the DVR XP and it screwed up the threads. Had to use a small file to fix them.....Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.

When I tighten my chuck on the lathe, I hold the chuck up to the spindle, turn the hand wheel until it is almost clear tight. Then I hold the hand wheel steady, give the chuck a quick spin which locks it in place.

If the DVR is like the 1624 there is a section in the back that's unthreaded for the grubscrew to tighten down on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Dave - check out the PDF that Oneway has for their chucks. Page 4 has a good photo of the Taperlock adapter and one of the 2 set-screws used to secure the chuck to the spindle.

http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/ow-talon.pdf

Steve,
    I may have mis-understood. I thought you stated that your adaptor/chuck came with the set-screws. I've got 3 different adaptors for my Talon and none of them came with the set-screws. Since I'm getting into bowl turning I'll have to get some, as I feel it would be safer to reverse sand using them.

Thanks,
    Dave

Tipped set screws

Thanks, George, for the Winco link. I looked for tipped set screws a couple of places but couldn't find a supplier. The little fiber discs supplied with the Nova chucks last about 39 nanoseconds, so I was looking for some other readily available soft item to put in the screw hole to keep from marring the spindle.

Speaking of chucks (and what you guys are talking about interests me a lot). I just received my Supernova 2 with 4 (free) sets of jaws from Craft Supply and noticed the difference in process of removing it from the lathe. Up until now I have only had Oneway chucks and used the jaw tightning/loosening wrench to remove it from the lathe. The Nova 2 wrench won't allow you to do that. A wrench used at the back of the chuck on the adapter is required. Or, am I missing something?
    Thanks
    Ray Binnicker

There is a set screw in there to lock the SN2 onto the adapter, but relying on that for removing the chuck isn't really a good idea -- even with a Oneway. Using a wrench on the adapter is the way to do it. It's only ten bucks or something anyway.

I have used the nylon-tipped set screws for years (not on chucks) from McMaster. They work really well and are pretty cheap.

No wrench to be used on Oneway chuck adapter, the Oneway adapter is round and smooth.
    I use the chuck jaws tightening wrench to unscrew the chuck, it is a large and strong piece of steel, though the recommended way is to use a piece of wood in the top jaws to unscrew the chuck, I was learned that also for removing chucks from metal lathes.
    Here's Oneway's official version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have fun and take care