Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jointers: What size do you have

I went from a Jet 6" open stand jointer to a Shop Fox W1741 8" jointer. I did it mainly for the length. I also wanted to go to a spiral head and didn't want to spend the money on the 6". It didn't hurt that I got the Shop fox for $600. I will probably add the spiral head towards the end of the year.

I have an old Craftsmen 6" that I bought many years ago. A few years ago I bought a Grizzly 0490 8" jointer. A very good jointer.

Lots of work can be done in a 6, but EIGHT is 2 inches BETTER! I finally have an 8 after 25 years of woodworking!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I went through this a couple of years ago. After searching the forums I settled on an 8" Grizzly G0490 and am very happy that I did. The 8" jointer provides extra length as well as width over a 6" machine. The very first board that I sent through it would have been a struggle on a 6" jointer. The longer bed made the task very easy.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I have an 8" DJ-20 in my home shop, I use a few 12" (powermatic, scmi) and a 20" at work. Bigger is very much better. I started with a General 6" long bed that works well. Still have it. I'd say if a 6" fits your budget and space it will do some good work and serve you well. BUT, most of the models in the 8" weight class are a BIG jump up in performance from the 6" in terms of weight, length, quality of cut, smoothness and power. For my needs 8" is the shear minimum at this point.

8" DJ-20 Wonderful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Moore View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing a new jet jointer but I am torn between the 6 and 8 inch versions. I can afford the 8 but am curious as to everyone's opinion on the size of jointers one would need for hobby woodworking.

So here it is: What size and brand do you currently own and what size and brand do you think would fulfill the majority of your needs?

I personally have a 6 inch older craftsmen jointer that has a warped table and fence!

I have a Jet JJP-12 combo J/P machie and REALLY LIKE IT! I have had a Jet 6" jointer that has served me well for 10 years, however I have often needed a wider machine. This new combo tool is 12" and the change over from jointer to planer is trivial. I realize there is much debate on this subject but having a 12" jointer for nearly the price of a good 8" dedicated tool was the best for my money and I am very glad I went that way.
    Dick Mahany.

Select the size you want then buy the next larger one - saves buying a bigger next year

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Leasure View Post
    Select the size you want then buy the next larger one - saves buying a bigger next year

I like Tom's style. I have an 8" Grizzly G0490X with the spiral head. Love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bigger is better ...

I started my hobby shop with a Jet 6" jointer. Over the course of the last ten years I've upgraded to a Grizzly 8" and then last year to a Grizzly 12".
    I went from the 6" to 8" because I didn't like having to rip 8" wide lumber just so I could face joint it and then glue it back together. Surprisingly that's the same reason why I decided to move up to the 12". The extra length of the bigger jointers was also a big plus for handling longer stock.

Based on the projects I like to make I doubt that I'll ever want anything bigger than the 12".

-- Phil

Grizzly G0593 8" with the spiral cutter head. I had two 6" jointers over th3 last 20 years but there's no comparison to the 8. I'd love to have a vintage aircraft carrier, but I don't really need one or have the room.

6" but with relatively long bed

I have a 6" Powermatic 54A with Byrd head and very rarely wanted a wider jointer. IIRC, the 54A does have a longer bed than most 6" jointers. I'm sure I could have purchased a good 8" jointer with what I paid for the 54A + Byrd head --- that said, no regrets.

hi,
    i have a 8 inch steelcity industrial jointer. it does everything i need to do at this point and does it very well.
    tim mathis
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

I have a 8" Griz and it has been fine. Would like to upgrade with one of the newer Griz with spiral head but it is not a priority.......yet.

Dar

I think Paul R has the best answer so far. Everybody works a little different, so a 6" may work well for some. I had one for 8ish years, and built some decent projects. Prices are so low now though, that it may be a good time to buy bigger if you think you may need it in the future.

My jointer is a 16" Felder combo.