Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Forrest Blade used?

Is this Forrest Blade used?

I just bought this blade on Amazon as new. It's the WWII full kerf.

The ink on the blade seems real faded, part of the II is almost completely gone. Plus, I swear it looks like it's been bolted onto an arbor before. Is that part of the manufacturing process?

There's no sawdust on the thing or anything, the teeth came covered in the protective gel, and as far as I can tell the teeth don't look chipped or used, they are plenty thick, way more carbide than my freud blades.

I'm probably just being paraniod, but I thought the price was right, $76, maybe too right? I would expect the lettering to be dark and crisp on a new blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Price; 04-11-2009 at 2:10 PM.

Contact Forrest and they can tell you what a blade is supposed to look like when it leaves the factory.

But if the teeth look new, I'd probably just keep it and not worry about the light logo.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Rob - Forrest's lettering and overall appearance are typically a bit "industrial". It's hard to tell from the pics but it didn't look used to me. The teeth would show some residue unless it had been meticulously cleaned, and even then, if it'd been used for more than a brief test cut the signs of use would be fairly noticeable noticeable. If it's the correct blade, I'd use it without hesitation.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Forest WWII

The picture looks just like the one I bought 5 months ago and have used constantly. It is a fine blade for me.

faded

i bought one two years ago looked the same a bit faded.works great.

I've got a TK 24 tooth WWII I got some months back from Amazon when they went down to 52 or 52 bucks that I haven't used yet. The E in Woodworker is faded, and some of the letters look like they got sprayed twice, because there is a little ghosting action there, but it looks new. Not anything that worried me when I got it. Sure need some wood to rip so I can try it out!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

When I bought my WWII a couple months ago, it had a lousy paint job too..
    I dont think signage is their specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    When I bought my WWII a couple months ago, it had a lousy paint job too..
    I dont think signage is their specialty.
    Yeah...Forrest's "fit & finish" doesn't earn many points compared to most $100 blades.

In contrast, check out the Freud Fusion and Infinity Super General:
    56918.jpgP410.jpg
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Rob,

Every Forrest blade has a serial number. With that number, Forrest should be able to tell you the manufacture date, which should help in answering your question.

Don't like Forrest

I had that same issue with my one and only Forrest blade. Purchased at Libra. It WAS used and put back on the shelf (probably by an employee) I'm sure. It was a terrible cut from the get go. I took pics of the cut and also sent the cut pieces to the Forrest guy and had all I could do to get them to at least rebuild it. It still isn't what they're cracked up to be. He made me feel like a cheat and a liar. Never Ever again. Freud is a comparable blade in my opinion and a heck of a lot less expensive.

I bought a couple new, and I got one lightly used. None of mine looked like that. Not that my experience is dispositive of anything, but just thought you would like to know.

I can't figure out how nice paint makes a blade cut better, but I guess all of mine are rather dreary looking monochromatic things, maybe I ought to look at the Martha Stewart line next time I'm at the borg?

Seriously, if you have doubts, ask Forrest. I have seen a pretty shoddy paint job on one as well, but the one I'm looking at right now looks fine. I've also had really good luck with their customer service.
    Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 04-11-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks for the thoughts. I did notice the serial number. I'll call on Monday And see what they think. I looked at some Freud blades(I have a couple already) and I looked at several head to head tests. The Freud fusion got top notch with the Forrest close behind. The was some concern the higher bevel angle on the Freud would dull faster. Currently the fusion is $99, the Forrest $76, and the next step down Freud is $69. I felt like $7 was worth it.

I have a Freud thin kerf combo that I bought for $40 that served me well. But it needs sharpening, and the carbide is thin, I don't know if spending $20-30 to sharpen it is a good plan or not. It may be a good backup blade.

The teeth on the Forrest are at least double the thickness.

I'll try to get it installed soon and make some cuts. Gotta work the weekend first.

I think any time you see smear in the lettering of a blade it means it was used. They could have used it once just to show someone but never the less used.

I have see this enough times in my local woodcraft store, they will test drive a blade or a bit to a potentail customer and then they put it back as new...

It's not smeared, just faded. The more I look at the teeth- if it is used someone spent some time cleaning it.

I can't wait to try it out. Stuck with family watching golf. Snore.