Thread: Ugly Wood Bowl

Ugly Wood Bowl

This is a maple ugly wood/burl bowl that I turned wet and let move. Left the bottom a little thick (5/16ths) because I thought it was going to fall apart. 12 x 2 with 5 coats of Deft. This one has been purchased by the local Historical Society to go on permanent display. The HS approached me at a show when they heard my schpeal about using local wood salvaged from road work or pulled from the dump. Now that the HS has purchased a bowl, the library and the Forestry Foundation want a couple for displays. AS someone on this forum said, peolpe like wood with a story.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phil - first off - Congrats on the sales!

Very interesting bowl! Nice form - lots & lots of character! Really like all that wild grain!

Very nice work!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn for the library and Forestry Foundation! Pretty cool!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Phil great looking bowl and congrats on the sale plus the future ones.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Phil, congrats. I love the character of the piece. The hole makes it good for conversation.

looks great. I actually think that the ticker bottom works really well on it. It shows off the texture of the hole better.

Ugly??? Not sure where you got that. It looks great. Love it! Congrats on the sale too.

How big is your vacuum pump??

Thanks

Thanks for the nice comments.

This blank was from a log that that I pulled from the dump. I posted a pic of that log here and someone called it ugly wood. I still have 15 or so blanks left to work.

No vacuum pump, I use a large padded disk and the tail stock for a friction chuck. Though it is on the always expanding must have list.

Phil

With a hole in the bowl the size of the one in that bowl, you would need a 400hp diesel hooked up to a roots blower to hold it on the vacuum chuck.
    I was funnin' ya.
    Nice.

they coul become interesting wall hangings...

Beautiful bowl and that's not ugly wood!