Thread: Oak and Walnut logs worth having sawmilled

Oak and Walnut logs worth having sawmilled

I just discovered a friend cut down several oak and a walnut tree that are about 4 feet at the base last year. They where cut into 8 to 10' lengths and left laying on the ground. It is believed that the oaks died of some disease.

I wouldn't be boring you with this story if another friend with years of logging/sawmill experience claimed these trees would be worth hauling to a sawmill.

The wood would be free. I'd have to pay for the milling. Is this likely to be worthwhile??

I would look into it

Lots of trees are cut in the fall and sawmilled in the spring. You don't really say when last year they were cut. If they were cut last spring, there would have been more time for the ends to split further into the log.

The oaks that died...are they hollow? You don't say, but that would probably make them firewood. Fence-row trees? Sawmills usually charge for blade damage, so that might be a factor.

All that said, it is very possible you might have some logs worth sawmilling. I have cut and milled trees that recently died, and more often than not most of the wood was useable. I was given a veneer walnut log that lay on the ground all summer, and even with terrible splitting at the ends, I ended up with some nice walnut lumber. A good sawyer will get the most out of what you give him.

Do you have the equipment to move the logs? If not, consider hiring a sawyer with a portable mill, and let him go to the logs. Get a bunch of stickers ready (dry 1x1x48), build a good base, and stack your boards.

I would give it a shot, it's a lot of effort, but it can be very worthwhile. Air dried walnut has beautiful color.

Definitely worth sawing up. Local pricing may vary, but around here it's about 40 cents a bf for sawing. And you'll have the option of what thicknesses he saws. I'd kill for a walnut log that size!

Charlie, go for it. If you wanted to you could build a small solar or dh kiln to dry the oak quickly, and definitely air dry the walnut.

Blog Entries
    Charlie, sans any of the problems that were detailed up above, you would definitely be smart to have trees that large sawn up into useable lumber. Last Summer, I had the opportunity to have a nice sized walnut tree sawn up and total cost to me (sawyer with portable mill - concrete block for the stacking - wax to seal the ends and two helpers) was roughly $400. When I added up the board feet that I got out of that tree and applied the local going price per board foot - I reaped about $1,400.00 worth of lumber out of that tree. I would do it again in a hearbeat.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

IF these are yard trees or from a fence line, finding a sawmill that will touch them may be your biggest problem. Many Won't!! Finding a sawyer with a bandsaw mill may be your best bet! I knew a retired man who sawed logs for only 15 cents a BF....IF the logs were delivered to him and IF I stacked the lumber as he cut it, and IF I hauled off the bark slabs!! What a Deal!! Good Luck!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Definately worth looking into getting those logs sawn!

The problem you will have is the size......4' diameter is a pretty good sized stick! Much larger than a bandmill will handle. The logs will probably have to be quartered with a chainsaw to fit on the mill or you will need to locate someone with a Lucas or Peterson swingmill.

Ed

I would sugest that you have a portable sawmill come to you if posible.
    Scott

Uhm, any PICS of this stuff?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I went over and looked at the logs . It turns out they have been on the ground almost 2 years. The largest was 3 feet diameter.

I told him I'd pass on these but to call me when he cuts down more. He is planning to cut oak and cherry this summer.

Is the heartwood punky on those logs, Charlie? They could have some nice spalt in them...dunno.... You may likely not know anything until you split one.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.