Thread: NYW Pine Chest Finish??

NYW Pine Chest Finish??

I am to the finishing stage on the new Yankee Workshop blanket (gonna be a toy) chest for some really good friends that just had their first son. As from the title I used pine to build the chest. I don't want to stain the pine as it wouldn't match their current furniture in the room, natural looking pine. After that I am really open to any type of finish. I want something really easy and simple for this project plus will have some durability since there is a good chance it will be used as a toy box. What kinda suggestions would yall have for a newbie? Thanks for all the help.

If that is the paneled chest, that is a great design.

Shellac is a good choice. Not the amber, but the clear (for that chest, in my opinion). Denatured alcohol cleanup and thinning, very forgiving and each to fix mistakes.

yah its the panel chest. best looking one that i could find for my simple taste.

Blog Entries
    i have the plans for that chest but built another one for my daughter. The frame was poplar and I painted it. The panels and lid are cherry and I used Danish oil.

Blog Entries
    I tried to load a pic and it didn't work. Trying again.

If cloth or clothing items will be stored inside, do not use any oil based finish on the interior. Oil base finish off-gas forever and the odor will permeate any cloth items stored inside. Either leave it unfinished or use shellac or a clear waterborne finish.
    Howie.........