Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who uses Twitter?

Don't use twitter. Don't text.

I don't Twitter. Never even checked it out.

I don't get the utility of Twitter. But that likely speaks more to my requirements than Twitters function.

When it comes to technology I've developed an attitude that it is okay to not 'get it'. Most folks didn't initially 'get' hypertext markup language either.

I won't dismiss a technology or service simply because I don't see any way or any need to integrate it into my lifestyle.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan Nayar View Post
    I think it's easy to dismiss things like Twitter as being facile, superfluous, or just plain stupid. Honestly? I think it's just a generational thing, and I'm not talking age, necessarily.

If you don't get it, fine. But don't write it off as being worthless just because you don't get it. Annoying? Fine, don't use it. Worthless and people who use it are wasting their time? Sorry, that's just ignorance. Twitter is no more worthless an endeavor than using this forum, joining a book club, or writing xmas bulletins to send out with cards.

I don't fully get Twitter either, but it's clearly changed the way people relate to each other and the way that information is disseminated. I do think the technology has enormous potential, and not just in its current form.

A colleague of mine at work made the interesting distinction that the things that I enjoy tend to be very solitary (woodworking, photography, fly fishing, etc.) and the things that he does absolutely require group dynamics (skydiving w/ others, scuba diving, etc.). He's an avid Twitter user and I'm not.
    Don't care what you say but it is worthless time and effort. There is no value to it. Change technology, HOW???? Text messaging is the same thing. Pick the phone up and call. How many people have broken up with the use of a text message. How lame??? Do we really need to be in constant contact with everyone around us 24/7??? No not for me and I will call it lame.
    John T.

John, any other technologies you don't use, understand or consider useful that should be terminated? I'm guessing you don't have a cell phone.

I know many folks that think online forums are a joke and people that use them are 'lame', to borrow your parlance.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge others based on your needs, requirements, expectations or experiences. It's a big world out there and not everyone does things the same way as you.

I don't Twitter but if I did it would probably improve my typing skills or is Twitter one of those sites where you use abbreviated words?
    I am all for advancements in technology even if I do not see the immediate advantage of it.
    David B

Facebook User and txter but not a tweeter

Most kids my age look at it and say what? Statuses on Facebook are usually enough don't need to go to another site to do it.

Txting is so great. I personally hate regular phone calls and calls between cells I sometimes find hard to understand. Plus if you are in the middle of doing something else it's alot more convenient to txt than it is to get on the phone.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-25-2009 at 9:55 PM. Reason: Removed illusion to profanity

Why engage in all the overhead involved in a real time conversation or playing phone tag when a single, simple Q & A will do.

Example:
    Send: meet at 5:30 for drinks?
    reply: c ya

Texting can be a very efficient use of time. Unless you have a luddite on the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Christenson View Post
    Well I can't argue with that. I really don't get the whole "follow a celebrity" thing, or the whole celebrity culture in general.

Jason
    I have to admit, since I posted that I started following Rainn Wilson. He cracks me up.

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

I use facebook and twitter

Facebook for friends and relatives, although the games now consume the most time: Farm Town is kinda fun, getting crops to grow. I even got SWMBO to become an addict. Now she doesn't complain so much about my games.

Twitter mostly in the office, free time to jot a thought or see the current comments and opinions. My groups on Twitter are Conservatives, none of that silly HollywoodStar goofs. I look under hashtag (group id) of #tcot (Top Conservatives on Twitter) #goinggalt (see Atlas Shrugs) or #totus (Teleprompter of the US).

Twitter is a skill, say something in 140 characters. If you want to learn precision in your speech, it might be worth the twittering of your tweets. Maybe we could have #smc for members?

Last edited by Craig Summers; 04-27-2009 at 2:46 PM.
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Why engage in all the overhead involved in a real time conversation or playing phone tag when a single, simple Q & A will do.

Example:
    Send: meet at 5:30 for drinks?
    reply: c ya

Texting can be a very efficient use of time. Unless you have a luddite on the other end.
    Greg, I see your point. This method of communication doesn't allow me to pick up on verbal and emotional ques that are necessary for me to communicate. Let's say, I reply that I can't meet for drinks. Had I spoken to my friend I might have picked up on the fact that she really needed to talk, or some time away from her kids, etc. In that case, I would have made an effort to meet her. Good thing we don't all have to think alike, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Summers View Post
    I use facebook and twitter

Twitter mostly in the office, free time to jot a thought or see the current comments and opinions. My groups on Twitter are Conservatives, none of that silly HollywoodStar goofs. I look under hashtag (group id) of #tcot (Top Conservatives on Twitter) #goinggalt (see Atlas Shrugs) or #totus (Teleprompter of the US).

I like your Style Craig.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I'll be 35 in July.
    Never myspaced, don't facebook, don't tweet & only carry a cell phone as its mandatory for the paycheck. I spent alot of time in the forests & fields hunting alone, I would at LEAST have a cell for an emergency I guess.
    I did have a pager as a teen ager when they were "cool".
    Texting can be good for some things, but as with all things useful, there's a flip side (see my 19 year old step daughter for example).
    My wife is a facebooker & an avid one. I "get it" but don't use it for simple lack of interest. My wife and a few others are on my case to start "facebooking".... if I was interested in talking to "old" friends, I'd not have let them get out of touch in the first place.
    I will e-mail friends and family of "news worthy" things if I don't call them and speak to them.
    I'll save my free time for actually doing the things I enjoy, not informing the virtual world of my doings. I participate in this forum and a Missouri Hunting Forum as there's alot to learn here & "there"...
    Personally all this digital faceless communication is not for me.

I can see some commercial applications (I think, I still don't do twitter but I have a facebook account as well as a linkedin account)

Imagine a business promoting a sale for their twitter only accounts?

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I use Facebook (as of a month ago) and I can see its use. I don't care when friends post something trite, but when a friend announces he will be changing jobs in the Fall, it is a convenient way of disseminating the information. My wife and I text short, important messages ("Can you pick up the boy?") during meetings when they run over, but it is hardly efficient or useful. Twitter? Can't see the appeal.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    ...Twitter? Can't see the appeal...
    I'd say it's just the same as the appeal you just described for facebook.

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Christenson View Post
    I'd say it's just the same as the appeal you just described for facebook.

Jason
    Facebook is a multimedia destination. Twitter is 140 max text characters. When you go to Twitter, the tag line is "What are you doing?"

Why do I want to hear what you're doing? What could you possibly be doing that would be of interest to me?

Or what could I possibly be doing that would be of interest to you?

Unless either of us lives a very unusual life, it would be pretty mundane stuff - stuff that is not very interesting. Just text spam, limited to 140 characters.

Mike

[Unless you're really into "A shared life" (as some people seem to be). "I'm going into Home Depot right now." "I'm looking at the plywood - it's really junk." etc. etc.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-27-2009 at 10:56 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.