Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Birch Winged Crotch Bowl

White Birch Winged Crotch Bowl

Man, that is a mouth full!

This is one half of a crotch piece of White Birch that I split right down the middle with my chainsaw last year. The other piece mirrors this one but I have not finish turned it yet. Lots of worm holes, curl and a little color from spalting help to bring this piece to life.

White birch – 13 ½” x 9 ½” outside measurements with 1/8” thick wings. The bowl is 8 Ύ” diameter x 2 Ό” high with the rim 3/16” rapidly tapering to 1/8” thick for the bowl portion. I left the wings exactly as they were cut with the chainsaw and left the saw marks on the edge of the wings. Everything was sanded to 320 grit and so far it has the first of many coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss poly.

Winged Bowl V1.JPG Winged Bowl V2.JPG Winged Bowl V3.JPG Winged Bowl V4.JPG
    Winged Bowl V5.JPG

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great piece, Steve. Not to detract from your piece, but every time I try stopping at 320 grit I'm left with horrible scratches, but I don't see any on your bowl. What am I doing wrong?

Tim

Beautiful piece Steve. Very imaginative. Love the color and form. You really can put a piece together!

Burt

Beautiful bowl Steve. Great form and finish. Steve please post when you get the final finish done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tim - the only thing I can think of as an answer to your question is that you are working through the different grits to soon. Probably depends on what grit you start with - but then you have to make sure that each successive grit removes the scratches from the previous grit. On this piece I started at 180 grit, then 220, 280 and then 320. The wings and the bowl junction area required a lot of hand sanding but when you take your time and go through the grits in stages - you should have good results every time!

Hope that helps!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is a beauty, Steve. When you get those coats of poly on, that thing is going to sparkle. Can't wait to see it completely finished.
    All the best.

Don

Thing of beauty. I'm working up the courage to try one of those winged wonders one of these days
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Love it Steve. When its finished it will really be a great piece
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Nice!!!

Nice piece of wood
    Nicely turned
    Nicely finished
    Nicely photographed
    NICE!
    Change One Thing

I've alway been a fan of natural winged bowls, and this one is why. They show off all the beauty in the wood while still showing off the artistic talent of the turner. That's a beautiful bowl Steve and I love the thin wing.

Very nice, Steve.
    Someday I hope to turn one that is just as good.

Birch is a great wood!

Steve, Again, your talent as a woodturner shows in this beauty! Very nice and the color and grain of the birch are beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Wow, you sure got that thin.

Excellent job.

Toney

Thumbs up

Eveytime I think My stuff is looking descent, you raise the bar.
    I love the winged bowl.
    Great Job!

Terry

Awsome work

Awsome work. I am learning how to turn the bowls. How do you tuen the bottom?

I cut a tenon in for the chuck but have not figured out how to remove it after I am done.

Thanks,

Tim