Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I pick up a virus?

Did I pick up a virus?

I updated to IE8 about 2 weeks ago, now some web sites don't work. One site is yahoo maps. Site comes in but no map. Another is a forum that doesn't work but works on a different computer. Suggestions? Most sites work. Thanks, Bruce

Sounds more like there are restrictive permissions set up in IE8 that aren't allowing the site to execute scripts or code or something... Check your security settings, set up an exception for yahoo maps and see if that works.

One virus I've heard a bit about recently is the conficker virus which blocks access to some antivirus websites and various other things. Seems a little related to the problem you're having. Simple test is here:
    http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org...feyechart.html

Otherwise what Eric suggests could be likely as well.

I tried the conflickr test and I do not have this. I guess I'm dumb as I do not understand how to what Eric said. Could you give me more details?

Download Mozilla Firefox, it is a much better browser than IE. I have been using it for years and I will never go back to IE. Oh yeah, it's free!

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

First, use Firefox.

If you aren't going to do that... yes, some sites will show you that IE8 is not 100% compliant with past web construction practices.

Two of my sites needed a patch that tells IE8 to downgrade some of it's procedures to IE7 standards and this is still not a 100% fix.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Can you go to the Symantec site
    the Microsoft site
    The PC tools site ?

The worrm that recently was running about prevented you from accessing sites that had the solution.

A computer tech I know was mentioning this the other day. I believe he said one of the MS updates actually caused problems with some websites. He didn't go into detail and he wasn't talking to me at the time, but he said he undid the latest update and it now worked.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I tried to download firefox browser and I get a message that my security settings do not allow the file to be downloaded. I have McAfee and webroot on my computer. I can shut down webroot and still get an error message. How do I shut down McAfee? Or what elseshould I try?

There is an icon near the top of the browser next to the Refresh button. Put your mouse pointer over it and it will say something about 'display page in compatibility mode' or something to that effect. The icon looks like a torn page.

Hope this helps.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

If that doesn't work, then you may have a virus. Some of the rotten things out there will shut your ability to get to tools to fix it down, and I suspect firefox is one of those things they don't want you to get to because it's probably exploiting a weakness in internet explorer.

If Greg's suggestion doesn't work, I'd start doing some digging, you may very well have a virus.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I downloaded Firefox on a different computer and installed it on IE8 computer.Wow, What a difference that made, everything works now. Guess what I think of IE8? Thanks everyone for the help. Bruce

Great Bruce, now spend some time looking through the cool add-on's. Cool Iris is a really slick one. If you do a google search for something, then click on the images section of google,and click on the cooliris icon, it puts them all on a board for you that you can scroll through really really quickly.

Also, Fireshot is pretty good also.

Tons of stuff out there. Give some a try!

I had to uninstall the whole browser because the Ad blocker software add ons would no let me access an electronic database for which I pay dearly.

I've downloaded Firefox and I have a couple of issues. I get a message some times that javascript needs to loaded and firefox says its enabled. Also adobe flash won't install. Help? Thanks, Bruce