Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just quit smoking and now my first tool gloat

Just quit smoking and now my first tool gloat

Hi, I'm relatively new the the "creek" and love it so far. any way i am a high school senior just getting ready to graduate. (gosh i feel young here) any way i decided to kick the habit and save the extra money to go to my even worse "tool addiction" i decided to go with the sawstop contractor with the cast iron wings, 36" t glide fence and the mobile base.

i went with sawstop since my father who has only 4 fingers on his left hand. there are no bones in the fingers its all nuts, bolts and screws; they also grow hair on them since the skin on his fingers was taken from his thigh. he cut them all off about 20 years ago and medical bills totaled around $125,000. By the way that is after insurance

Any way, it is definantly a lot more saw than my fathers DeWalt benchtop saw i was using. i have only used it a few times since i bought it and let me say its a joy using. I am very happy i spent my money on something usefull and not on something that went in smoke.

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/v...view=slideshow

Great saw. Good luck with it.

Richard
    Richard

Good for you!
    I prefer inhaling clean air too.
    The saw will be valuable for a long time and you can make money with it . You may even pass it on to your own child someday. I'd say the tool habit is a good habit to have.

nice, mabey i should quit smoking too, then I might be able to save up enough for one.

Well you can't go wrong with that quitting smoking and the Saw Stop looks like a really good saw.

Just don't forget that the Saw Stop was made by man and it can fail.

So don't stop thinking about safety !!!!

Well Hmmm. There was research out there somewhere that says the lungs in someone your age will reverse and clean themselves out. 30 years from now you will find that quitting smoking was the smartest thing you ever did with respect to your health. Congrats on the saw and welcome to the Creek. A place with lots of knowledge floating around.

Good For You !

On many levels. Congratulations on Graduation, cleaning up your lungs, and being smart enough to get a good saw. Just don't get complacent-you still need to be careful. Hope you enjoy all of these accomplshments for a very long time.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Good for you

Since I quit 15 months ago I have added to my tools too

Performax 16/32 (used)

Dewalt MBF RAS (used)

Steel City Mortiser (new)

8" Grizzly Jointer (used)

Spiral Cutterhead for 8" jointer (new)

Grizzly G0529 Spindle/disc Sander (used)

Believe me this is a better addiction (the tools)

JEFF

Adam, I think one of the first things you might consider investing in now that you have stopped smoking is a good dust control system for your woodworking tools. At a young age, eating a little dust doesn't seem so bad, but it all adds up to a long term hazard to your health.

Best of luck to you in the future, and congratulations on your saw and graduation.

...ron

If you smoked a pack a day at today's prices, you can pay for that SawStop in two years! And trust me, two years will go be really fast! I wish I'd had the smarts to quit when I was your age instead of waiting till I was 60!
    David DeCristoforo

David, in Texas, because of taxes it would take less than 2 years!

Adam, congratulations! When you look back on life, I think you'll find that quitting the smoking habit was even better than graduating or getting the saw. I was off for 17 years and went back. Now, I'll have to go through it all again.

Don't forget safety, and don't forget that those coffin nails can grab you again if you let them!

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    If you smoked a pack a day at today's prices, you can pay for that SawStop in two years! And trust me, two years will go be really fast! I wish I'd had the smarts to quit when I was your age instead of waiting till I was 60!
    Exactly what I was thinking....wish I would have never started. No telling what I could afford right now. Best thing I ever did was stop....been almost 10 years now.

The saw is cool but quitting smoking is the greater gloat by far. (as i light up). Dont ever go back to it!

PS

My dad and I made a deal when I was 10. He would quit smoking if I promised I'd never start. Next month I'll be 50 and he'll be a very healthy and active 83. If you saw him, you would guess he was mid 70's tops. Congratulations on a couple of very wise decisions!

Great idea to stop smoking and put the money towards new tools. I started in 1973 when I was in Boot Camp. Everyone else was smoking on the few breaks that we got while training, and it looked like it really relaxed them. So I jumped on the bandwagon and started "relaxing" with them. Thirty-five years later, I can hardly walk across the shop without being out of breath. Now I have to sit down to "relax" and catch my breath. Dumbest thing I ever did was to start. And now, it's a B*#@! to try and quit. Do yourself a favor, nip it in the bud, and let your lungs clean themselves up while you're still young. No telling what kind of shop I might have if I'd put all that money I've burned up in cigarettes towards new tools.

Welcome to the Creek and congrats on graduation. You'll learn a lot from the guys and gals on here. And if you have a question, no matter what it is, somebody here will most likely have the answer.