Thread: What blade - 7 inch?

What blade - 7 inch?

I have an old Craftsman Circular saw which takes a seven - not 7 1/4 - inch blade. I use it for breaking down sheet goods and rough cutting long stock into shorter pieces. I have been using HF 6 1/2 in C-2 carbide blades but they are only OK. Any suggestions on a source for 7 inch blades? If not who makes 6 1/2 in blades that are better than framing type blades?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I had that same saw many years ago. Had to go to Sears anytime I needed a blade. Finally sold that saw at a yard sale for $10.00 just to get rid of it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I think in the Freud blades you will have to go with 6-!/2". I use the 40t for sheet goods, and it works well. The Avanti has a thicker plate than the Diablo. The Diablo has the red anti-friction coating.

Freud Diablo: Home Depot, and Amazon.
    http://www.diablotools.com/blades-6.html

Freud (Avanti): Ballew, Lowes, and Amazon
    http://www.ballewsawandtool.com
    TK901 6-1/2 30 ATB 5/8* .094 .063 $23.10
    TK301 6-1/2 40 ATB 5/8* .094 .063 $27.86

I have the same saw with out the sexy 'non glare finish' -- I have a masonary blade in it currently.

I thought for sure I could put a standard blade in mine?

Does it hit the guard?

I also have a 7 inch Craftsman. I bought a 7 1/4 Makita to replace it for most things and just have a rip blade in the Craftsman and do rough work with it as it's getting a lot of play in it. I imagine a 7 inch blade could be found but finding a suitable one would be the trick. But out of curiosity I looked and Amazon lists about four pages of 6 1/2 blades so surely you can find what you need for sheet goods..
    And now for something completely different....

Thanks for the replies.

Von - I probably won't get rid of the saw since it has some sentimental value. It was my dad's and I think it's older than I am. Also, except for the odd blade size it has served me well.

Paul - I'll take a look at the Freud's you suggested.

Tom - I had one 7 1/4" blade that fit but it must have been undersized. All the others I have tried have hit the guard.

Richard - I had done the Amazon search but I was hoping the people here could provide some input based on there personal experiences. I take the Amazon reviews with a very large grain of salt.

Both my dad and I had identical saws that we bought back in the mid-60's. He wore his out long before he died, but I still have mine; however I haven't used it for ages.

Now that you mention it, I did need to do something to it to use the larger blades, but I don't remember exactly. It wasn't very much and it has had a number of 7 1/4 inch blades installed over the years.