Thread: Model Rocket Launcher

Model Rocket Launcher

Here is a little project I made for my nephew. It is a rocket launching box to be used with estes type rockets... They require a little battery powered launching box to ignite a small rocket engine.

The launchers you buy suck, so I built a total overkill one for a 6 year old that will probably break it in a week or so... but was fun anyway

Here is a link to the album on google which has wiring diagram and more photos. Pardon the captions, they are intended for a 6 y/o who was following the construction along the way - long distance.

album link

Oh - if you see the sawstop cartridge... it fired because I forgot to reset my miter gauge when cutting 45 deg miters... so the gauge hit the blade... ooops.. Didn't even scratch the anodizing on it, kinda amazing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dan lemkin; 05-07-2009 at 2:58 PM.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

I think this falls under the category of "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right." He's going to have the coolest launcher ever! Nice job.

Cool stuff, wish I could have had one like that when I was building rockets. Nice job Dan

Rocket launcher -

when I was a kid, I too built the Estes rocket kits. I also had an uncle who was an electrician and loved gadgets. He built a launcher that rivaled NASA with all the buttons, meters, indicators, etc., and, for me, half the fun of actually launching one of those things was getting to use the launching device he built. You've created a memory the kid is never gonna forget - it's been almost 40 years for me!

Dan,

Great job. Very cool and thanks also for the album link and video on launcher use. You're adding more fun to an already fun time.
    Cut once, bandage twice!!

Blog Entries
    As a technology education teacher I can tell you rockets are still a favorite for all ages. Great project it gets the kids thinking and away from the computer, tv, etc. Nice Launcher!

I used to love building and launching Estes rockets as a boy way back in the last century. The launch box you made will make him is from the next generation... Captain Kirk

Very Cool!
    He will love it!

Yeah that is really cool. I remember mine as a kid, it was a cheapo plastic unit with crappy materials. I didnt know better at the time, but had I seen yours, I would have been jealous. Nice job!