Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Burl Hunting We Will Go.......

Nice sized burl but I think you will find that its too far gone. But with that said I have been surprised before.
    Adam

Burl update.....

Well folks, the burl is dead.....long live the burl. Jeff Nicol, his buddy Bill, and myself went down and retrieved the big burl yesterday. Wow, this thing is big. It measured 6 feet long x 4 feet wide x 3 feet tall. Jeff is the saw master in the pictures. I am the goofy looking guy in the brown coat. We had to cut it in half to move it. Then we were able to pull the two halves to the road with Jeff's truck. I'll put the first few pictures here and more in next post.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

More pictures

Thanks to Jeff and his trailer and gantry system, loading the burls was relatively easy. Even I could do it. After they were both on the trailer it was time to chain them down for the 1 1/2 hour drive home. Big sigh.

Once we got them back to Jeff's house it was time to get them cleaned up with the pressure washer. This took a couple of house but there was quite a bit of sand, dirt, and limestone that needed to come out of these burls. The last picture is the burls all clened up and ready to go to Jeff's sawmill for cutting into blanks of all kinds. This is getting exciting.

More to follow.

Mike
    Mike Svoma

Looks like you had a fun day!!! When should we expect our first turning post? Did you decide what flavor wood? Oak?

It looks to be red oak. I am not sure when we will get some to turn. We probably will not cu tit up until next weekend. That's up to jeff and when he can get time to cut it. I found a picture of the burl from 2003 and attached it here. Back then I didn't know, or care, what a burl was.

I hope that I don't offend anyone with this photo. These porcupines were chewing on my friends cabin. There are hundreds of them on his property, they are considered pests up here.

Mike
    Mike Svoma

Handy trailor!!

Looks to be some nice size burls, I take it the rot wasn't too bad or ya wouldnt bother bringing em home?

Can't wait to see em all sliced up.

That's quite the haul! I got sore just looking at the pictures! Hope the wood turns out to be amazing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Rewards of our hard work!

Mike, I held these back a bit to post the pics myself, a little surprise for you! Here are some of the blanks I cut out of the smaller half of the burl clump. I am only half done with it and there is some of the best wood left to cut up. I wet the blanks down so you can see the grain better, there are some punky spots here and there but mostly hard as a rock! More to come!

Thanks Mike for letting me get involved in the recovery and finding the tresures within!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thats purdy!

Great score guys!

very nice, thanks for sharing, that is some trailer, i take it that is not the first time you have had large wood to haul

Those look great Jeff. Keep them coming.

Mike
    Mike Svoma

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice, thanks for sharing, that is some trailer, i take it that is not the first time you have had large wood to haul
    Charlie, I have a connection with a tree service guy in town and he calls me when he gets some good wood for me to cut up. The first few times it was all by hand and that got old fast! So now I can lift a 1200lb log on by myself with the chain fall. The beauty of the trailer is that I built the whole thing and I have only about $400 in it, and it has paid for itself many times over!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I hope that I don't offend anyone with this photo. These porcupines were chewing on my friends cabin. There are hundreds of them on his property, they are considered pests up here.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike- Why would we be offended by a picture of 3 sleeping porcupines. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Strand View Post

Mike
    Mike- Why would we be offended by a picture of 3 sleeping porcupines. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

They look very comfortable to me............

And porcupines are good to eat! Realy good!