Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 1642 owners, where did you buy it?

Oh. Well that explains the less expensive price.

I was hoping to save up for a Vicmarc, but the Jet deal pushed me over the edge...

Now I have a lathe in my shop that belongs to my wife....

I bought my 1642 back Feb through Amazon....I am brand-new to turning, and I haven't really had a lot of time on it yet (the whole day-job thing). I bought the 1642 b/c I wanted something that would meet my needs now as a beginning as well as over time as my skills develop. While I have only had limited time on it, I have been very pleased so far.

Martin,
    Yes, I sold my Oneway to a friend who was really wanting to push his limits on bigger turnings. I, on the other hand, have had health issues that have tended to steer me to turning smaller items. He offered to pay me the price I had paid new for the Oneway four years prior. The Oneway is a much heavier duty lathe, but was just overkill for what I want to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Like you, I was holding out for a 3520B and also like you, it was looking like it would be forever before I would save enough to get one. I ordered the 2HP 1642 from Woodcraft last weekend and it's scheduled to be delivered today. For months I've researched the 1642 along with the 3520B and I'm very confident that, for about half the price of the PM, I'll be happy with it. I cannot recall reading or hearing from a single owner ever saying that they regretted buying the 1642.
    Exact same thing here.

Its supposed to be delivered today. Now, I need to find a way to make room and then run a 240V outlet!

I figure that if I ever get the itch to turn anything larger, it does have outboard ability, plus I can always add more weight to it. I would just need the outboard tool rest for the outboard option.

I order mine from Tool Nut just this morning
    I had been saving for the PM3520b, but with such a great deal and all the capabilities of the Jet, I don't think I lost much going with the Jet.

Thanks for all of the advice. I took the plunge and ordered the 2hp 1642 from toolnut on Friday for $1599. I tried to get my local woodcraft to apply their 20% discount on their $1699 sale price with no sucess. Now I need to start purchasing everything else I need and probably attend some classes or join a club, I have not turnes since high school and that was quite a while ago.
    Paul