Thread: Tenonning Jigs

Tenonning Jigs

Has there been any new developments like new/better products since the following theread:

Jig Thread

I'm looking to buy one but a bit hesitant to buy anything that looks like the Delta because of the varied reviews/comments...
    ken

Most of the jigs from Woodcraft.. Grizzly.. are really about the same from what I have compared and I suspect (don't know for sure) that they very well may come from the same source? The Jet is a bit different but priced similar to the Delta. The older style Delta was good but I don't care for the newer ones.

If I were in the market today.. pretty much a who's got in on sale kind of deal for me.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Most of the jigs from Woodcraft.. Grizzly.. are really about the same from what I have compared and I suspect (don't know for sure) that they very well may come from the same source? The Jet is a bit different but priced similar to the Delta. The older style Delta was good but I don't care for the newer ones.

If I were in the market today.. pretty much a who's got in on sale kind of deal for me.

Sarge..
    I'm with Sarge on this one. From what I've seen I'd bet most of them all come off the same line. I have the Grizzly and have no major complaints with it. Most folks seem to make a few modifications to suit their needs, regardless of which brand they purchase. I modified mine for a specific task and it's a joy to use!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

The one issue with the tenon jigs that hasn't been solved is the unguarded TS blade, and all the newer jigs seem to be the same castings. The only difference may be the accuracy (squareness, fit of the guide bar in the mitre slot etc.

I wasn't able to solve it so I eventually quit using it.

I now cut tenons on the shaper............Regards, Rod.

I have the grizzly as well and have had no problems with it. I haven't put it through a lot of work but plan too in the near future. Of course I am by no means an expert.

Ken.. Grizzly has theirs on sale for $49 now. Shipping to Georgia will make it $59. Woodcraft in Alpharetta has it on sale for $65 and incluke about $4 sales tax if you wanted to drive over. They have 4 on the floor as of the moment. I use a homemade one and I may drive over to Woodcraft tomorrow just to keep the business local even though the Grizzly price is cheaper and you don't have to leave the house.

BTW... I wouldn't be too concerned about having the blade un-gaurded in this case. I am a stickler for having a gaurd on but.. the stock is positively pinnned to the fence with a wheel screw and your hand is to the left of the cast iron fence. Unless you have vertigo or a balance problem where you might fall face first into the tablesaw top.. I personally don't consider it a major concern in this case.

A shaper does an excellent job though I may add. So.. you can drop around $1600 on a shaper or take the calculated risk with the jig for $60 or so. I know where I would go on that one but... everyone has different views when they look inside their wallet.

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    I still have the old Delta - back when they were about $100. It works fine, but I really haven't used it near like I thought I would over the years.

The unguarded blade when using the tenon jig isn't an issue for me, either. I feel perfectly safe using it, though I am careful and safety minded. It's simply a matter of being sure that the work piece is properly secured and that your hands stay on the jig handles. However, I don't fault anyone for making their own choices based on their concerns when it comes to safety issues. For me, I'm comfortable with it when it's set up and used properly.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

When used properly, the unguarded blade isn't a problem. All of the tennoning jigs I have seen have two handles, one for each hand. Put your hands there, and they aren't likely to contact the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Ken.. Grizzly has theirs on sale for $49 now. Shipping to Georgia will make it $59. Woodcraft in Alpharetta has it on sale for $65 and incluke about $4 sales tax if you wanted to drive over. They have 4 on the floor as of the moment. I use a homemade one and I may drive over to Woodcraft tomorrow just to keep the business local even though the Grizzly price is cheaper and you don't have to leave the house.

BTW... I wouldn't be too concerned about having the blade un-gaurded in this case. I am a stickler for having a gaurd on but.. the stock is positively pinnned to the fence with a wheel screw and your hand is to the left of the cast iron fence. Unless you have vertigo or a balance problem where you might fall face first into the tablesaw top.. I personally don't consider it a major concern in this case.

A shaper does an excellent job though I may add. So.. you can drop around $1600 on a shaper or take the calculated risk with the jig for $60 or so. I know where I would go on that one but... everyone has different views when they look inside their wallet.

Sarge..
    I may drive over to Woodcraft just to see what all they do have as I've never been. Hum... There's also Rockler and Peachtree that could be worthwhile to visit huh?

Ken
    ken

I have a Woodcraft jig, and while I don't use it that much, it has worked very well when I have. It is plenty solid for most operations.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Hey Ken.. the Woodcraft and Grizzly are the same jig and you need to go over and see what they have which is a lot. Use discipline or your wife is going to shoot you if you act with impluse.

I am not aware of Rockler in the area? Redmond & Son Machinery used to be a dealer but dropped the line as they didn't really care to deal with the nickel and dime items as commericial accounts were there forte at that time.

BTW... PM sent on the jointer on Atlanta CL.. what-cha waiting on son... Xmas?

Sarge.. who has to run over to Woodcraft and then ROS for the rest of the day on a hutch...

Speaking of tenon jigs, one of the coolest things I've seen done with them is how fellow Creeker John Nixon uses his tenon jig to make mortises on his router table. Some of you may have seen videos of how he rigged up a motorized router lift for his router table. Using the tenon jig in the miter track on the RT, with stops in the track, and raising the router with an electronic food pedal up into the stock, he makes short order of cutting mortises. It's amazing to watch!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568