Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A request.

You're right and I'm guilty too...will try to correct that.

Count me in. I do the google thing too. The post that really get me are the ones with a G10XX-5Z, or some thing starting with a G and a bunch of letters. No machine type, just a Grizzly product number. Do people actually memorize these catalogues by number? I have read posts asking about tools I own referenced only by model number, only to search and realize "Hey, I use that every day, never knew its number!"

Blog Entries
    Add one more

ME 19

Get me when people talk about their SS. (Sawstop) but to me "SS" is a Shopsmith
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

What?You mean it's not sufficient to explain that my DW 735 sits next to my PM 66 which is directly across from my D 28-203, and that I'm looking for a good used PM 60 and that I'm not all that thrilled with the performance of my twin AFS1000B's and that my 14-651 needs a new 3/8" bit and I forgot to turn off the laser on my C12LSH last night. Sheesh, what could be clearer?

This thread made me laugh

Because I do the same thing with Google. Occasionally I know what they are talking about - e.g., a DW 735 is a planer, but beyond that it is Google all the way.

I agree that model numbers are not enough and pictures are even better.

I'm not sure what an RM766 is, but I told my wife I need one!

acronyms

This is similar to people who use acronyms unique to their profession in general conversion.

My wife is a nurse and i used to hate the Christmas parties; " then the guy had a PVQ, and I didn't know whether to SHT or GOB...."

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Panis View Post
    I'm not sure what an RM766 is, but I told my wife I need one!
    Now THAT'S funny!!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    ME 19

Get me when people talk about their SS. (Sawstop) but to me "SS" is a Shopsmith
    When I see that I think of Social Security. *sigh* Clifford.

Why is this a problem? Why would anyone google this stuff?

Just click on the link... If a reviewer is talking about their experience with the new Frobozz 2000 and you can't tell if its a drill press or a handplane, do you really want to rely on that person's review anyway?

Seriously folks, its a long weekend and all, but surely there are far more pressing matters to debate. Like whether the SS is the only choice for a saw. Or whether Festool is worth the high price.

Add me to the vocal minority. When I see threads that reference only a model number, I just close it. I'm not interested in doing research on something that the poster could have easily included the information for. And Eric, most posters do NOT put in a link.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Add me to the vocal minority. When I see threads that reference only a model number, I just close it.
    Same here. I may read on if I happen to recognise the model number and it's a machine I won or am considering, but that makes a VERY small subset.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Just click on the link... If a reviewer is talking about their experience with the new Frobozz 2000 and you can't tell if its a drill press or a handplane, do you really want to rely on that person's review anyway?
    Review? Who said anything about a review? I'm pretty sure Frank meant this in general terms - not just reviews. Any discussion (whether it is about a faulty part, how to lift something that heavy on to a mobile base, proper methods of waxing, or even merely its color scheme) will gain the interest of a larger audience if those of us in the dark know what type of machine is being discussed.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Well Frank, just for that I'm not going to post my review of the MX2340RTXX THAT I just bought. But seriously, I totally agree with you.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.