Thread: Looking for a Bandsaw Opinion

Looking for a Bandsaw Opinion

Hi there everyone, I'm looking for some opinions on a possible bandsaw upgrade. I have a 14" Rockwell right now, I think that it has a 1hp motor (I can resaw 6" maple with it... so it isn't underpowered! The cut is a little rough (4tpi blade) though, and there is a slight wobble to the lower wheel. It works fine for me right now, but I just came across a ad for a 15" General that I could pick up for a reasonable price, maybe $250 more than what I can get for me Rockwell. The General looks to be in excellent shape.

I've never used a General bandsaw before, and was looking for people to chime in and tell me if the upgrade is worth it. I have to admit I'm not gaining much in resaw hight, 3/4" or so, and with the General there is no possiblity of a riser block, but most of what I work with is 6" or smaller (6" jointer!)

So, what is your council!?

Might look at a Grizzly

Jamie, I recently bought a 14" Grizzly Industrial Grade G0457 bandsaw. You might take a look at it. I am well satisfied.

I have the General 490 15" that I bought new in the late 80s and have been extremely pleased with it. I have run blades from 1/4 to 3/4 inch on it. Louis Iturra told me that he thought it was one of the better bandsaws in that size available. If you can get it cheap enough to also purchase a Laguna DriftMaster fence, you will not be sorry. My saw gets used many times more than it ever did before I got the fence. Yea, you will mourn for a couple of weeks or so about how much it cost but you will be glad that you have it.

The Rockwell's really good saw for the size. I suggest if you're thinking upgrade, think bigger. 18", 19", 20". Look for a much bigger table, better dust collection, and heavier duty everything.

Pete

The General 15" 490 is a great saw, but I would think bigger. Nobody ever regretted getting a bigger bandsaw.

I have a General 490 & a 14" Delta with a riser kit. I do all of my resawing that is 6" or less on the General. It does a great job. For resawing over 6" I use the Delta. I have Kregg fences on both saws. If I had a choice between the two & I had no need to resaw over 6", I would get the General. Is the General in the ad a 490 or 690?

Thanks for all the replies, I believe that it is a 490. I should mention that my Delta/Rockwell is an older built in Canada model. Unfortunately because I am in Canada, Grizzly is not an option... wish it was! Larger bandsaws are pretty rare up here unless buying new and that isn't an option for me at this time.